Chapter XLIX - The Bloody Train (Day 5)

Rem reached for Anthony's hand and helped him to get up.

"Good job," said Anthony giving Rem a kiss on his cheek and a hug.

Rem rubbed his back.

"Come, we deserve something great," said Anthony pulling his hand. "You are a sharpshooter and I'm a great cook. We'll be a good tandem."

Rem caught a young wild boar using his knife throwing skills. Anthony immediately roasted it and then they had a feast. While eating, he found out that Anthony was such a cool person and they really got along. He felt sad that when four of them remained, they will still have to go up with each other. The two spent the rest of the hours walking with Rem leading the way. However, he didn't reveal that he was leading him to Marybeth.

When it got darker they both just looked for a nice ground and took turns in taking rests and guarding. Rem was still in his full guard and he knew Anthony was also doing the same.

*****

"Rem, wake up now," said Anthony shaking Rem's left shoulder. "The sun's already up."

Rem stood, did some stretching and prepared himself.

"Would mind looking for our meal? I'll look for some herbs," said Anthony.

Rem agreed.

While walking around, Rem saw another marking left by Marybeth on a tree. He inspected it and became delighted seeing that the sap around the carvings was still soft meaning she might have left it only a few hours.

"Rem... Where are you?" said Anthony from a few meters.

Rem immediately left the carvings and looked around.

"I'm here, I can't find something that we can eat," said Rem. "I'll be back as soon as I caught one."

A few more minutes, Rem spotted a wild rabbit. He then sneaked through from the bushes, aimed, shot and they have something to eat. He returned and saw Anthony already boiling the water using a rock with a huge sink. He jumped for joy after seeing him carrying the rabbit.

"This is delicious. Great job!"

In front of Rem, Anthony skinned the rabbit, chopped and immediately put it in the improvised casserole. He just watched Anthony.

"Don't watch me, Rem. You should be guarding this place," said Anthony while smiling at him.

"Oh, sorry," Rem said. He immediately left Anthony and walked a few distance to guard the place. A few more minutes, he was called because the breakfast was ready.

"I'm so starving now," said Anthony while sitting on a rock and carrying half of a coconut shell. "Don't be shy Rem. Stew is my specialty."

Rem picked the half of the coconut shell and got some. However, from the smell of the stew alone, he knew there was something. He inspected the bowl using his knife to look for something and despite he failed he knew he had to trust his instinct.

Rem stood and walked near Anthony who was already eating his meal.

"Let's exchange bowl. Mine's still hot," said Rem.

"Thanks, Rem. But, I hate too hot stews. It burns my tongue," said Anthony.

"Alright, take some soup. I got too many," Rem said acting he will pour some soup from his bowl to Anthony's.

"What?" Anthony said retracting his hands away, avoiding the soup. "If you are thinking that I'm trying to poison you, think again. If I wanted to kill you, I might have done it in the middle of the night. When you are snoring."