The Painting Of Apartment 5B

We arrived at the apartment building at six o'clock.The morning air was crisp and it made me feel awake.We piled out of our cars and tried to grab as much luggage as we could, the apartment building was tall and had several windows. We walked inside quickly closing the doors behind us to stop the cold air from snatching our breathes away. "Okay look for the letterbox with apartment 5B on it" Lara said chattering her teeth,we all scanned the rows of boxes on the wall, "got it!" Lisa shouted pointing to a box  at my eye level, there was a letter inside, I ripped it open and out dropped two sets of keys. "That was easy" Finn laughed.I pulled out the letter that was paired with the keys, it was a heavy amount of paper filled with professional words and bold text. "Oh,I should've known it wouldn't be this easy" Finn said his face dropping. "That's okay, the real estate agent said we just need to sign that and bring it in first thing tomorrow, Laura made an exception for us" Lara added, "that's so nice, if I ever see her again I'll literally kiss her" Natalie said taking out a pen, "yeah then we'd definitely lose the apartment" I said shaking my head.We all signed the paper and gave it to Lara, she seemed least likely to lose it.

The elevator ride up was short and loud, for the first time we entered our apartment.We all stood there for a second our eyes scanning over the empty apartment.We were all envisioning our lives here.We carried our bags in and surrounded the kitchen island, "rooms, who's sleeping where?" I asked clapping my hands together, "I don't mind" Lara said, we all nodded in agreement, "should we pull it out of a hat?" Finn asked, "good idea" Natalie said looking for a piece of paper,I found a pen and she handed me the paper which she had ripped up into seven pieces. I began writing on each piece of paper; master bedroom,study,dinning room,bedroom one,bedroom two,bedroom three, bedroom four.I placed the papers in my cap and mix them around, "do the honors" I said to Jason,he reached his hand in and slowly unfolded his paper, "master bedroom" he laughed, "Nat" I said holding the cap in front of her, "bedroom two" she said, I moved to Lara, "study" "Lisa" "bedroom five."  "Carter" "dinning room" he said "Finn" "bedroom three" he said. "Which leaves me with,bedroom four" I said pulling out the last piece of paper. "Okay what colour are we going to paint the walls?" Natalie asked wrinkling her nose at the sickly green walls. "Maybe a light gray?" Finn said eyeing up the room, "yeah I like that, how about a couple of people can go buy the paint, someone can get lunch and the rest can unpack" I said only now noticing how hungry I was. "I'll get the paint" Finn said, "yeah I'll come with" Lara said and they both left straight away. "Me and Lisa can get lunch" Natalie said, Lisa nodded then quickly said, "Carter you can come with us" she gave me a look and grabbed Natalie's and Carter's arms and lead them out the door.

I grabbed the keys and Jason and I walked to the elevator in silence.I looked across at him, his stride was long and confident,his shirt pressed against his chest defining his muscles.His hair was brown and messy and he had a slight smile but his teeth weren't showing, he looked across at me "what?" he asked, I smiled "what are you thinking about?" I asked entering the elevator, "who said I'm thinking about anything" he smirked pressing the 'ground' button on the elevator wall. "Because I can tell by your smile" I said, "so you were watching me?" he laughed, "what were you thinking of?" I asked ignoring his question. "Fine, I was thinking of my little sister" he said as the elevator doors opened, I felt an aching in my body, a weakness, only for a second.Pathetic."How old is she?" I asked "she's eight" he smiled again, crinkles forming around his eyes. "You miss her? dumb question,when will you see her again?" I asked correcting myself. "Hopefully soon,Thanksgiving maybe" he said as we arrived at our cars.We unpacked the rest of our bags and dragged them back to the elevator. "Do you want me to take that?" he asked reaching for one of the several bags I was holding, I grabbed his wrist, "no, I've got it" I said he pushed my hand off his wrist, "do you ever let anyone do anything nice for you?" he said, he was close to my face.Six inches. "No, it's a sign of weakness" I said pressing number five on the elevator, "no, it's a sign that someone cares about you" he said, "you saying you care about me?" I laughed stepping forward.Three inches. "Careful" he whispered, "that word's not in my dictionary" I said, although I stepped back anyway.