An Unwanted Surprise

It was the first day of December. "Merry Christmas!" Natalie sort of sung running into my room, I sat up in my bed, "you're way too into this whole Christmas thing" I said following her into the kitchen, "it's only the first of December" Jason said walking out of his room, "this whole Christmas thing's overrated" I said pouring some coffee.  "How could you!" Natalie said turning on me, I  rolled my eyes "bah humbug" I said. Everyone entered the kitchen, "don't you guys think Christmas is overrated" I said, "yes" they all said, "what is wrong with you people!" Natalie  said throwing her hands up, "hey, I'm Jewish so, happy Hanukkah everyone" Carter said as I handed him a cup of coffee. The doorbell rang, "that's Quinn, we're going out for lunch" Carter said shaking his shoulders, "please" Jason began, "never do that again" I finished. Carter answered the door, "hey babe, let me just get my jacket" Carter said walking off to his room. I leaned into Jason, "I never get the deal with 'babe' like, I'm not a child, leave me alone" I whispered, he laughed, "I guess I'll have to think of another name for you then" he whispered back.Weird. "Hey Quinn, coffee?" I asked as she walked in, "I'm good thanks, I'm more of a tea person" she said, "well what are you doing with Carter! dump him, Finn I found your soulmate!" I joked, "she's joking" Finn said stepping forward, "I know" Quinn laughed, Carter walked in "I heard that, Max. Now should we go before Max convinces you to leave the country" Carter said scowling at me on the way out.

 "So they're really a thing now?" Lisa said, "yup" Lara said, "thing, couple, soulmates, two people walking towards marriage and disastrous divorce" I said, "okay, just because your against marriage" Natalie started, "wait, your against marriage?" Jason said sitting next to me, "no, I just like to say depressing stuff to bring down the mood of this joyful apartment" I said sarcastically, Finn leaned forward, "I'm sorry, but am I the only one who has no idea what she just said" he said looking at the others, "so you aren't?" Jason said confused, "why? you proposing?" I asked, "no" he said slowly, I flung my hands around his neck, "please, wife me up, Jason I can't imagine life without you" I said in a high pitched voice, Jason grabbed my wrists and took my arms slowly off his neck, "so you're joking" he said shaking his head, "well done, ace" I said slapping him on the back and walking to my bedroom.

At lunch Jason knocked on my door, "hey we're all going out for lunch, want to come?" he asked,  "sure, let me just hide this body and I'll be right out" I called, he opened the door "your sarcasm amuses me" he said plainly, "was that sarcasm?" I asked, "yeah" he shrugged, "great" I said grabbing my coat and following him out the door. We went to a place called 'the beach house.' We sat down, "so, it's Carter's birthday tomorrow, what should we do?" Finn asked, "throw a party?" I suggested, "yeah, but he wouldn't want it too big, maybe just a couple people he knows" Finn said. "Sounds good, so when are we going to throw it, tonight?" Lisa asked, "sounds good, let's do it" Natalie said.  "Hi, what could I get you?" the waitress asked, "hi, could I get a, wow" Jason said as he looked at the girl. "a wow?" the waitress giggled, I rolled my eyes. "Sorry, you're just" Jason began, "beautiful" Finn finished, she shrugged, "I know" she laughed, I gave a look to Lisa and she rolled her eyes. "Hey, would you want to come to a party tonight?" Finn asked out of the blue, "what" Lisa said, "yeah, we're having a party for our friend, it'll be great" Jason said, "sure" the waitress said in the same high pitched voice I impersonated this morning. She walked off, "so, what happened to a few people Carter knows" Natalie said raising an eyebrow at Finn, "what, she's hot" he shrugged, I rolled my eyes, "hey you're on your own, if she tries to kill you, bud" I said, "don't call me bud" Finn said sitting back, "I'll call you whatever I want,bud" I said, "Max, stop" he said quietly, "bud" I whispered, Finn stood up pretending to jump at me, "hey, lets keep it civil" Jason said grabbing him by the shoulders, I laughed.

On our way back we picked up some things for the party.When we got back Carter and Quinn were still out for lunch. "Wonder what they're doing" Finn said winking, "go home" I said shaking my head, "I am home, I'm a true American" he whispered. "I'm going to send out a facebook invite to a couple of people" Jason announced walking into his room. "Well I'm going to have a nap" I said, Lara grabbed my arm, "no, you're going to help me distract Carter, he's on his way back and we need to distract him until everyone gets here" she said, "which is when?" I asked, "I set the time for six thirty, a couple of people have already told me they can come" Jason called to us. "Okay so you guys distract Carter for a couple of hours and bring him back at six" Lisa instructed to Lara and I, "what are we supposed to do for three and a half hours" I exclaimed pulling a clock out of my bag, "oh, what the hell" Natalie said, "who has a clock, in their bag!" Lisa said, "obviously. Max" Jason laughed taking the clock off me. "Let's go, I told Carter to met us at that coffee shop you like" Lara said dragging me out the door.