30 : GETAWAY

Josh went from 0 to 100.

Literally.

His foot was pressing down on the gas pedal so hard he was slowly losing feeling in his leg. He drove faster than he ever had before, hands gripping the steering wheel for dear life.

It was the middle of the night, so the only source of light provided were the headlights on Tyler's car, which weren't even that bright.

Nonetheless, there were no other cars on the road, so Josh drove as fast as Tyler's little Chevy could possibly go.

The boy didn't even bother staying in his lane.

He flew straight down the Interstate, right down the middle. His squealing tires left trails of dust and gravel flying up in his wake. There was nothing but trees on either side of the highway, creating an eerie, haunting atmosphere.

Josh could barely see through the pitch black darkness of night, the dim yellow headlights not offering much light. The only thing he could see was the yellow line on the road.

In all honesty, he had no idea where he was going. All he knew was that as long as headquarters and the Killjoys was behind him, he was going in the opposite direction.

"Anyone behind us?" Josh murmured, risking a glance over at Tyler in the passenger seat. He didn't dare take his eyes off the road for long. One wrong move would send them speeding headfirst into the woods.

Tyler didn't answer him. He had his eyes squeezed closed, and his chest was rising and falling with his heavy breathing. He was clutching onto anything his hands could find-the door handle, the seat, the center console, even Josh's arm.

"Tyler," Josh hissed, his anxiety rising even higher than it already was. "Tyler."

"I'm gonna be sick, Josh," he choked out. He gulped and shifted in his seat. His eyes were still closed, and his eyebrows were drawn together in a painful wince. "P-Pull over."

Josh bit his lip and glanced over at Tyler again. He looked even worse than he did before. His face was a pale, unnatural white. The entire right side of his sweatpants clung to his leg, completely soaked in blood.

Josh let out a sigh. Tyler wounds still hadn't stopped bleeding? They should've been a bit better by now. At least they shouldn't have bled through the bandages.

"What hurts, Tyler?" He asked, taking one hand off the wheel and grabbing Tyler's hand. The car swerved a bit as he did, and Tyler squeezed Josh tighter.

"Everything," he breathed. He cleared his throat and tried to steady his voice. "My stomach. L-Legs. My head. Fuck, Josh. I-I think it's the drugs-"

Something between a squeak and a sob escaped Tyler's lips, and he slumped down in his seat.

Josh didn't waste anymore time. He slowed down the car as much as he could without slamming on the brakes and skidding down the road.

He pulled completely off the road, losing control of the car a bit at the end, and parked in the grass on the edge of the forest.

As soon as the car was stopped, Josh pushed open the door and practically leapt out of the driver's seat. He rushed around the front of the car, green hair dimly glowing in the shine of the headlights.

Tyler winced when Josh yanked his door open. He was sitting there, beads of sweat running down his forehead, body twitching every so often in pain.