I Miss You

The water dances around my feet and laps at my ankles as I stare down at the water that ruined my life. The water that claimed the only person I loved, the person I knew was meant for me.

-

I watch her intently as (Y/n) appears from the house, her swimming suit hugging her curves tightly, and highlighting just how to fit she managed to keep herself.

"You look so good, baby," I say as I walk up to her and wrap my arms around her waist, my thumbs gently rubbing against her stomach.

"Oh stop," she answers with a smile growing on her face, "You're going to make me blush."

I tuck my head into the crook of her neck and nip at her neck gently, my messy stubble brushing against her cheek. "You know, we don't even have to get in the pool. I could just strip you down right now and push you against the door," I growl as I let my more dominant side come out.

"Oh shush now, you wouldn't dare. You know we have neighbors that could see us, we're in broad daylight and I wanna go in the water," (Y/n)'s firm voice fills me with disappointment and I pull away, but she quickly latches her hand on my wrist.

"But," she smiles as she traces a single finger down my chest and my abs, "I gotta say, you do look delicious in those swim trunks." Her hand teasingly taps on my upper thigh, just inches away from the thing I crave for her to take as hers.

I keep eye contact with her as she playfully brushes her hand against my bulge and I feel myself take in a deep breath. "Oh Markimoo, don't get excited now," she smiles and I frown when her touch leaves me completely.

I watch as she walks over to the outdoor table and places her engagement ring on it.

"What? Not good enough for you? Should I have gone a few karats higher?" I joke with her.

She scowls, playing along with me, "I can't believe I said yes to you when you held that ring out, let alone put it on my finger." We stare at each other for a second before we both burst out laughing.

"You know you love me," I say and she smiles and nods. 

Suddenly I get an idea and quickly run up to her and wrap my arms around her, lifting her into the air.

"I think it's time you get your hair wet, you need to go in the pool." I laugh sinisterly.

"What!" she screams, "No, Mark! Stop! You know I can't swim!" I don't listen to her and walk to the deeper end of my backyard pool. I look down at her once and don't hesitate to throw her in.

The water consumes her and I laugh as I see her playfully stay under that water to 'prove' that she can't swim. I wonder how long she can hold her breath. Her hand breaks through the surface of the water, but her head stays under.

I use the back of my hand to wipe the tears from of my eyes from laughing so hard. I walk away from the edge of the pool and go back into my house knowing she'll come up for air as soon as I turn my back.

I prep a little something to eat, knowing she climbed out of the pool and is sunbathing on a lounge chair. I pick up the two plates and walk outside once more.

The sight before me isn't what I expected.

(Y/n) isn't sunbathing on a lounge chair. She isn't running up to me to gather her food out of my hands.

She isn't even breathing.

She's floating face down in the pool, her hair splayed around her like a curtain.

I drop the food and dive into the pool. I quickly scoop her up and out of the water, laying her down on the hot concrete. I immediately check her pulse to find it not there. Without hesitation I press my lips to her and push on her chest in pulses, performing CPR.

I try for minutes without any response and I stop, knowing I didn't do enough to help her. Suddenly, I feel an unknown feeling fill me and I grab her shoulders roughly, "Why!? Why weren't you kidding!? Why did I throw you in!"

I feel my body start to shake with violent sobs as I crawl as far away as I can from her. I bury my head in my hand and cry. I just sit there and cry.

And cry.

And cry.

I finally wipe my eyes and look up. Something glinting in the retracting sunlight catches my attention. I walk up to it to discover that it's my now dead fiancé's engagement ring. I hang my head and cry harder than before as I clench the now worthless ring in my hand, wishing I could crush it into nothingness.

-

Our old engagement rings hang heavily on the chain around my neck. I reach up to them and rub (Y/n)'s ring between my fingers.

"You thinking about her?" I hear the voice of my girlfriend and I turn around.

"Yeah," I answer Amy with a thick coat of tears in my throat. Amy slips off her shoes and socks and sits down next to me, her feet rubbing against mine in the water.

"Tell me about her."

"She was amazing. She was there for me through thick and thin, she was there whenever I needed her and I fucked it all up because I thought she was joking when she said she couldn't swim."

Amy doesn't say anything, she just stares down at the water beneath us.

I study her carefully. The way her blonde hair is messily tucked behind her ear, the ends just barely brushing the tops of her slender shoulders. Her eyes hold knowledge, knowledge I wish she would share with me. I could stare at them all day.

She is beautiful. She is beauty.

'Yes,' I hear (Y/N) whisper to me, 'She's the one.'

I feel my heart shake as I look up into the sky and whisper thanks to her.

I take the chain off of my neck and hold them in my hands. I know I will never forget (Y/n) but she wants me to move on.

I gently lay the rings beside me before I lean down to place a small peck on Amy's cheek. I pull away and slip into the water fully and pull Amy in with me, knowing she can swim.