Chapter 36

The phone buzzes and wakes me up from my peaceful slumber. I grab it before it wakes the angel sleeping beside me, and answer without looking who it is that's disturbing us.

"What?" I growl. Waking me up before I'm supposed to wake up is the most annoying thing you could ever do to me.

"Did I wake you up? Ooh, I'm sorry, babes. I just wanted to tell you we aren't coming back for another four days."

I flip on my stomach and sit up on my elbows. I replay Alexa's words again and again in my mind until they actually make sense, and then I start to get a little bit angry and slightly worried, too.

"But you have to come back! You can't just miss school like this, especially when the SATs are coming!" I whisper-shout, so Marcel doesn't wake up. Alexa's laugh echoes through the speaker and for some reason my frustration grows.

"Oh, don't worry about me! I'll be fine."

"You know what? Go ahead and don't give fucks about school, but don't come complaining when you don't get accepted into Stanford because you decided to go on a random vacation with your boyfriend, alright?"

I don't wait for her answer and hang up. When I turn back to snuggle into Marcel again, I see him eyeing me sleepily. Great, she's woken him up too.

"I'm sorry." I say and without thinking decide to kiss his delicious-looking lips. Just a peck, and then I can go back to sleep.

"Who was that?" his voice is so numb he can barely speak.

"Alexa." I crawl back under the sheets, scooting the closest possible to my boyfriend. I still get all giddy when I remember he's my boyfriend.

"Why was she making you mad?" he frowns, forcing his heavy eyelids to stay open.

"Just... I don't know, it's stupid really. It's none of my business." I shrug, and the frown is replaced by a little smile.

"You haven't answered my question, babe."

"I think she's really stupid for not caring about school, we only have less than two months before we take them."

"Oh, Dee, you shouldn't let that upset you. She made the choice."

"I know."

                                                                                           ***

After Marcel leaves, I go to my room to pack some clothes and go to my parents' house. The decision I made is based on the fact we have one week of school left and then Spring break comes around and I'm not very sure of what I'll do, but in case everyone has plans, my mom and dad can take me with them.

The apartment looks so empty and cold, and I can't help but picture what it will look like when no one will live in it anymore: I'm supposed to move to New York, and Alexa is supposed to move somewhere near Redwood City. Pressure settles into my chest before I shut the door abruptly to stop the sad view of the almost abandoned apartment.

The roads are unusually empty today, the radio is playing shit music and my phone shows no sign of Marcel trying to contact me. My mind flies to what I could do in a week, when Spring break starts, and all I can do is make little cute scenarios of me and Marcel. I hope that we'll be able to do our spontaneous run-away, most of all.

My mom welcomes me with fries and chicken nuggets and I eat them gratefully. She sips her lemonade while watching me eat and asking questions about how my life is going and how school is working out.