Chapper 14

It's gone.

Time's up.

You hug the hell out of everybody, except Tord.

You tell everybody how much you love them, except Tord.

"I'll miss you, Y/n." Tom whimpers.

"I'll miss you too. I'll come back. Alive or dead, I'll come back and watch over you. I promise." You cry.

"I love you guys." You say, and get in your taxi.

...

"Y/n L/n." You say to the receptionist at the army base.

"Flight B, 8 minutes." She says, giving you a ticket and calling, "Next."

You slouch over to the plane and sit get your baggage checked.

...

After the flight to Norway, you got in a bus to another base. There, you'll stay for 3 days, training.

The bus stops at a big building, dead looking.

...

First day, training was terrible. You slept on scratchy, springy mattresses and were woken up abruptly. Breakfast was a disgusting soup that you choked on with every spoonful. Tap water from the bathroom was the only thing to drink.

Then you shot at targets for a few hours. Just shoot, reload, shoot, reload. You find it's just a waste off bullets.

Lunch wasn't much better. Beets, potatoes, and some sort of unidentifiable meat.

After lunch, you ran around a field, carrying backpacks back and forth. Your feet ached and your arms were shaking by the end.

Supper wasn't great either. Pork, beans, and probably yogurt.

After that, it time for sleep. You slept horribly. The next day was the same. The same meals, the same activities. The only different was that it felt more intense. The third day was the same, too. But with a lecture at dinner.

It was all about being brave and doing it for our country and possibly the earth. You zoned out during most of it, though. It wasn't meaningful. Nothing was. You'll die soon anyway. The Red Army was the biggest, most ruthless and terrible army. You're going to die.

You went to bed, everything felt heavy. It was like a big weight was on you. You can't wait for that weight to be lifted, and for you to be free.

...

"Attack!" Sergeant calls.

The boom of guns and footfalls explodes into the air. It's so loud! Your finger remains on the trigger, waiting. Your in the middle of the soldiers, people run out around you in advance. People fall to the ground.

You begin walking forward, dreading seeing those blue uniforms. Time trudges on, soon it's sunset. You haven't run into any red army soldiers.

But then there's a whizzing noise to your right. A bullet flies past your head. You duck down and look through the scope of your gun, finger on trigger. There they are. The red army.

Fuck.

You run to the right, hiding behind a tree. You can climb. You can climb! You attach the gun to your back and climb up the branches, perching on the highest branch that will probably support your weight. You grab your gun, aim, and

fire.

You just killed someone's spouse.

Fire.

You just killed someone's parent.

Fire.

You just killed someone's sibling.

Fire.

You just killed someone's kid.

And it goes on. One after another, they drop. Dead. You make sure to stay low and well hidden in the tree.

You watch as the military declines severely and the red army advances. Soon, you are the only military soldier in a mile. You've stopped shooting. You fear that if you do, you'll be spotted. And killed.

You rest on the branch, hoping the wave of soldier will pass soon. It's midnight now. You're not worried people will find you now, but you don't take any risks. Your eyes grow heavy and, even though the tree is terribly uncomfortable, you're able to sleep...