Red Like Roses

"When are you gonna start taking the blame for your actions?" She lectured.

He was sitting beside his sister, Raven. She was scary and every lecture made him fear her. She was scolding her one year old daughter who insisted on covering the walls of the cabin in yellow paint. ' Looks prettier this way', she'd say. Currently, she blamed the puppy walking by for her 'master piece'. 

Her uncle sighed having the relief of not being a parent. Until that day.

He'd been dating the beautiful but secretive Summer Rose for two years now. Their relationship was serious. He wanted to propose, but he had a feeling she didn't want it so fast. Setting aside the black gemstone ring, he focused on the endless schoolwork piling up that he had to finish at the end of the semester. He wasn't allowed to graduate until he did so.

He finished after two hours and tiredly laid asleep on his desk lit by candle light. His team was coming back to the dorm soon. The other members of team STRQ walked in and Summer was the first to stop the continuation of their previous conversation.

"All I'm saying is-"

"Shhh," Summer whispered cutting Taiyang off from his argument with Raven.

He rolled his eyes and crashed onto the bed below his roommate's bunk bed. The girls walked to their half of the room, and Summer approached the sleeping boy. She gently took his hand and sat beside him. His hand was warm and her's was cold from the raging Winter storm outside their room. Beacon wasn't guarded for weather and storms.

Summer was strong, so she lifted his numb body and laid him on the bottom bunk bed on the girl's half. Raven didn't mind her brother laying below her, and Summer smiled when she allowed her. Summer gently caressed his face and rubbed his forehead. She swept his grey hair aside and rubbed his face while he laid on her lap. She pulled her blanket aside and covered his body with it.

Raven and Tai getting the signal, left the room and went to the courtyard to speak alone.

Summer smiled when she heard the door close. She removed her cape/hood and set the white clothing on her hook. Her silver eyes dashed over to the sleeping boy and she touched his face. He woke up to see Summer's face above him; her beautiful silhouette looming over his dazed face. He snapped out of his sleepy trance and shot up blushing.

"How long was I out?" He said groggily.

Summer smirked with a slight giggle. "About four hours."

"Four hours? I overslept! I need to finish the exit ticket on semblance!"

"It's okay. I was informed from the teachers on my scroll about school getting canceled for a snow storm. It's blocking the locker rooms, cafeteria, and class exits, so no one gets in or out. Unless window travel isn't dangerous." She said ending with a laugh.

He stared blankly at the girl smiling. Her smile was brighter than thousands of fireflies in mid-July. He had the sudden urge to hold her hands, and to which she kindly obliged. She was only nine-teen at the time, but she felt like this moment lasted eons.

Holding her warm hands and having his heart race against his chest at the same time, released a chain reaction of emotions to which she followed. Her heart was pulsing and her eyes were locked into his sea of mixed red and pink. His blood colored eyes mesmerizing her silver eyes. Their pupils locked onto each other.

Summer noticed a small raven perched on the tree outside their window, and he stood up locking the window as well as moving the curtains. He smirked at he raven as he did so.

He continued their moment when Summer smiled. He moved closer, and held her face. Gazing into her rare silver eyes, he felt happy and peaceful aside from the war and hatred beyond their academy.

He kissed her. And as she closed her eyes, she melted into his arms. Nothing else mattered. He felt lucky aside from all the misfortune he caused. He thought it was Raven, but when she wasn't there, he learned to control it and conceal it. And he vowed to never endanger Summer's life from his outbursts or accidents.

He kissed her for what felt like forever. Summer wasn't going to let it end. She kept going and making this moment count. She wasn't giving up. She was his girlfriend and she needed to show her obligation to her promise. She'd never leave him. Ever.

He finally ended it to show her something promising. 

He pulled out the white box with the silver lettering on the top and showed her the thing he waited years for.

Summer was amazed at the sight. A silver ring with feathers engraved on the metal with a large black gemstone in the center. Around it were rubies and white diamonds. She couldn't tell if it was real or not, and it didn't matter. It was from the heart. Made for her.

Summer was still amazed as he anticipated her answer.

"Summer Rose, will you accept my feelings and do this to seal our promise?" he said, heart racing as he had the guts to do this now.

"I-I, I..."

"S-Summer?" he stuttered watching her shake.

She shed a tear and fell onto his lap. He wiped it away and held her tightly. "Summer are you okay?!" he yelled, worry filling the void.

Summer shook once more, then grinned when he touched her. She sat up not remembering what happened, and started laughing and crying. He didn't know how to respond.

"It's about time!" she said happily. She kissed him and grabbed his shirt collar pulling roughly at it. He was taken by surprise due to her sudden shift in reactions, but he went with it thinking she was overwhelmed with mixed feelings.

"I love you," she said breaking their bond for a short moment.

"Me too." he replied.

Summer extended her hand, and assuming her accepting it, he slowly slipped it on. She didn't yank her hand back or refuse, and he was too happy to think she'd decline. Summer was in awe at how beautiful the ring was. Even more when she looked closer at the detail to design. He didn't think she paid much attention to those things.

"Mrs. Branwen. I like it."

"Heh, yeah. So what now?"

"What do you mean? We gotta plan a wedding silly!"

"Now?"

"I mean we could wait, or ya know, do it now?"

"Uh, okay."

"Hold that thought."

Directly after her words were spoken, she pounced onto him kissing him hard enough for his lips to feel pain. His nervous muscles were reluctant to hold him, but once he forced the command, his brain ordered them to follow. He wrapped his arms around her, and seeing her face clouded by his shadow made him smirk.

He fused his soul into looking at those silver eyes. And before he made another move on Summer, he said something she'd never forget.

"You're the prettiest rose I got lucky enough to pick."