23

sunday. 5:00 PM.

ㅡaugust and clare arrived in spring's cafe shop at exactly 5PM. they both hopped out of august's porsche and took a seat as they went inside the cafe.

clare looked at the surroundings, smiling, as she took out her cellphone to take pictures of the beautiful café that was well-improved now.

august, nervously looked for any sign of nicole in the shop, but sadly, she was there eyeing him a suspicious look from the counter. august gulped at the scenery and just gave his full attention to clare who was still busy taking pictures.

"a lot of things have changed here, august." clare said and smiled at august, placing her phone down on the table.

yeah. but my feelings for you will never change. august thought in his head while seriously looking at clare.

"august?" clare called out.

"yeah. yeah, i'm here." august said to clare and took a glance at nicole, who were glaring at them from the counter.

confused, clare spun around and tried to follow august's eyes. "are you hungry?" she asked, trying to decipher if august wanted food.

"uh, yeah? wanna order some food?" august lied, removing his attention to nicole and handing out the menu.

"sure, sure." clare said and august raised his hand up, signalling for the waiter.

but an unexpected waiter, namely nicole, came to them with a pen and a notepad. "bonjour. may i take your orders" nicole said, energy lacking from her voice.

"two plates of crepe soufflee and macarons, please." august said, emphasizing the 'please' in his sentence which made nicole glare at him.

"oh! i would like to add some french toast for two, please." clare added and smiled at nicole whilst nicole was writing their orders in her notepad.

"k." nicole simply said and started to write the orders as she retreated back to the counter.

french toasts again? ugh. august rolled his eyes at the thought.

"so," clare started, which made august look at her. "how have you been. august?" she asked.

"i'm very fine, clare. and i'm guessing you are too." august replied with a smile that made clare chuckle. "you're right about that, mr. august."

august chuckled at clare's response while they talked about clare's work experience and her livelihood in the US.

clare and august talked for several minutes until the food came. and ofcourse, it was served by none other than nicole cielo.

nicole both gave them a blank look before placing the food down on the table.

"mm, my favorite." clare mumbled by slightly chewing on her lip, craving for the delicious food infront of her.

" clare mumbled by slightly chewing on her lip, craving for the delicious food infront of her

clare took the courage to take pictures of the luscious food and august, too, took out his phone to take a pictureㅡbut i's not the food he was trying to capture; it was clare

he took several photos of the beautiful young lady infront of him, admiring everything about her; her face, her hair, her personality.

while taking pictures, august looked at clare as if it was the last time he was going to see her. he couldn't imagine the fact that the two of them broke up two years ago, and now, they're just friends.

august couldn't accept the fact that clare had already moved on, because august hasn't moved on from clare yet.

that's why august gathered up all of his self-confidence and held clare's hand, looking her straight in the eye. "listen, clare." august said, and looked at nicole fiercely who was pouring their drinks but suddenly retreated because of august's gaze.

"i know that..." august started. "...we broke up two years ago."

"and i know that you're over meㅡus. it's just...faded memories to you now." august explained.

"but ever since we broke up..." august paused, hesitating. "h-have you ever thought of me and missed me? the old us?" he asked.

clare stared at him, dumbfounded. she didn't know what else to say to august other than, "w-what?"

"do you still love me?" august asked straightly to clare.

"iㅡ"

"i'm only asking if it's a yes or a no."

"i-i'm sorry, august." clare simply said, lowering her head, looking at her fingers that are placed in her lap.

august did not bother to speak up anymore. he knew the answer by just hearing the apology of clare. i'm sorry. it's a no. it's over.

"august," clare called, and held august's hand. "i'm really sorry. it's just that...maybe we weren't meant for each other? maybe you deserve someone else. someone better than me, august. you deserve better." clare explained while trying to comfort his ex-boyfriend.

but august had no expression painted on his face. it was all blank; emotionless.

and that was the start of it. the start of august's breakdown.