Chapter 18

Chapter 18

     "No...NO...NO!" Dylan screamed in his sleep. He was having a night terror or a bad dream. I instantly woke up and scooped him up on my arms.

     "Dylan, baby, wake up. Wake up. It's just a bad dream," I say. He awoke with a jolt and wrapped his tiny arms around my neck and his his face in my neck.

     "Don't...don't let him hurt me, mommy. Don't," he pleaded. I hugged him tighter and flicked on the lights.

     "I won't, baby. No one will ever hurt you again. Never," I assure him. Poor kid.

     "He will, mommy. He always does. Daddy always has his way." I wrapped him up tighter. My heart broke. How could a father do this to their child? Fathers are supposed to protect and care for his family, not hurt and break. What a monster.

     "Not with me he won't. Not as long as you're with me, he will never touch you. No one will ever hurt you. They will have to go through me before they do," he nods his head. Soon he drifts off to sleep. I stroke the hair on his neck. Dylan was like my second chance. I pick up my phone and dial the number at the top.

     "Hello?" Ty's voice sounded raspy.

     "Hey, it's Dani. Sorry for waking you up. It's Dylan–"

     "Dylan? What happened to him? Is he OK?" Ty sounded all panicked.

     "Yeah he's OK. He just had a night terror. It was something about your dad. Dylan woke up and told me not to let your dad hurt him. Does it happen often?" I say. Ty sighs on the other end.

     "Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. He's been having them for the past year now. He's scared that he will come back. How's he now?" Ty asked.

    "Is it Dylan? What happened?" JJ's voice said huskly.

     "Dyl had a night terror. It might happen again later at night," Ty told his brother. "How is he?"

     "He's sleeping in my arms. He's like an angle. It sad that he's going through this," I say. Dylan snuggles up to me more.

     "Good. Hey call me when he has another night terror, OK?"

     "OK. G'night," I say. Ty yawns in response then we hang up. I look at the sleeping Dylan in my arms. His soft features at peace. I kiss the top of his head and soon fall back to sleep.

     "Have a peaceful sleep, Dylan," I say before I drift off.