Chapter 7

Cheyenne gazed about the room. It had taken two weeks of diligent work with Gaby and Raina but now it looked like home. Finally, I can get back to work on that fifth novel.

There was a knock on the door. "Who could that be at this hour?" She looked at the clock on the stove. "Six thirty in the morning? Really?" She stood slowly and tied her robe and wondered who it could be. Anyone who knew her knew not to bother her in the morning since it was her work time. She leaned toward the door, took a deep breath and looked through the peephole. There was a man she did not recognize. With a shake of the head and a groan, Cheyenne shouted through the door. "Hello? Can I help you?"

"Uh. No. Well yeah." He hung his head and rubbed his temples before looking into the hole on the other side of the door. He cleared his throat. "Um... I just want to introduce myself since we're neighbors."

"At six thirty in the morning?" She allowed her head to rest against the door as she slowly shook it.

"I saw your lights were on."

"Okay." Cheyenne unlocked the door and hesitantly opened it. "If I let you in, you promise not to kill me?"

He laughed uneasily. "I promise. Although," he held up a bag, "I did pick up some breakfast."

"Breakfast? Really?" Her stomach growled. Despite her instincts telling her that by allowing him to enter her place it was welcoming trouble, she invited him in. I wish I would have eaten earlier. "All right then. Come on in, BUT remember that if you try anything. I will beat you like a cat does a bird it's trying to kill."

"Harsh, but I promise I won't do anything." He spun around for Cheyenne to see what he had on him.

Cheyenne nodded approvingly. "Okay. I'm satisfied."

She opened the door and he walked in, flashing a smile. "Thanks."

"The kitchen is to the left." She followed the stranger to the kitchen still surprised she had let him into the apartment. "Who exactly are you?"

He smacked his forehead. "Oh yeah! Sorry." He smiled at her and offered his hand. "I'm Daniel Schindler. I live next door. Apartment F."

"I'm Cheyenne Harrington." She offered her hand and he took it. He lingered a little too long for her taste, she jerked her hand away.

"I wanted to come over sooner, but saw you had people visiting you a lot."

Cheyenne softly snickered. "My sister and best friend were helping me get settled in. It has been a busy month for me." If you only knew. "I was moving in, finalizing my divorce, and starting over.'

"Yeah. I remember how difficult and busy it is when moving from one place to another. You ready to eat?"

"Sure. Would you like some coffee? Orange juice? Something else?"

"Some O.J., please."

Cheyenne felt nervous. She had never invited anyone into her home she didn't know. Why am I doing this? The words screamed in her mind as she grabbed the orange juice from the refrigerator and pulled a glass out. His hazel eyes are beautiful, but there's something behind them that I can't put my finger on. This is exactly the kind of man Gaby would like. What's amiss about him, though? Daniel is attractive, which is something I can't deny.

Those muscles, that smile... She inhaled deeply and ridded herself of the thoughts before she turned to face him with the hope he wouldn't notice her blushing.

Daniel was a good-looking blonde with curly hair and his smile was nice and bright like in the teeth whitening commercials. He was tall and thin, but not too thin. The tight, white undershirt showed off his muscles and his jeans displayed what Gaby would call ghetto booty in a nice, tight package. Gaby would be all over him in a New York minute.