Chapter 10

"Office of O'Neill, Riley, and Mackinaw."

"Hi. This is Cheyenne Harrington. Is Mr. O'Neill available?" 

"He's with a client at the moment."

"May I ask him to return my call?"

"Sure. One moment please." Cheyenne could hear papers rustling before Mr. O'Neill's secretary said, "Okay. I'm ready. What's the number he can reach you at?"

Cheyenne relayed the information and thanked her before hanging up. "Hopefully he'll call me back soon. In the meantime, I'll get back to writing."

~

Three hours later, Cheyenne's parched throat demanded attention. A glass of milk. She opened the refrigerator and quickly realized a grocery run was in order. She grabbed her purse and keys before she turned and started to make the trek to her car.

Cheyenne's jaw dropped and her purse fell to the ground. Someone had slashed her tires!

Cheyenne wanted to scream but silently chewed on the fist she now had to her mouth and stepped back. "Oh no! I need to call Raina." She turned and ran back to her apartment. Cheyenne fumbled with the keys to finally get the door unlocked and immediately dialed Raina's number.

"Hello?"

"My tires are slashed!" She could hear the trembling in her own voice.

"Chey?"

"All of them! Can you believe it?" 

"What!?!? Are you serious?"

"Oh yeah!"

"Are you all right, Chey?"

"I'm fine, but frustrated. Why is this happening to me?"

"I don't know, sis, but you should stay with us. It's not safe for you any longer, Cheyenne. Please, please come here. We have enough room. I'm worried about you being alone."

"I know you worry about me, but I'm okay. I'm going to stay right here in my place."

"You are so stubborn—just like Mom. Chey, you're not safe there. Think about it. First, someone ransacks your apartment then they slash your tires? Sis, you need to get out of there."

"Yeah? Well, what if I'm being stalked? What if...." Cheyenne began to wonder if Tyler had something to do with all of this.

"What if what?" Raina asked.

"Do you think Tyler might have something to do with what's been happening to me?"

"In all honesty, I don't think so." Raina paused. "He may be a louse, but I don't believe he would do something like this."

Cheyenne rubbed her temples. "Maybe you're right. All I want to know is who's doing this to me. I'm concerned about what's going to happen next."

"You could stay with us. The kids would love to see their Aunt Chey. Woman, you are going to worry me to death. I'm afraid for you. Please come here."

"I'll be fine. In the meantime, could I get a ride to the grocery store?"

"Of course. Give me about a half hour and I'll be there. I have to call a sitter. You should call the insurance company to see what they can do for you. That is, if you can think straight to do so."

"Thanks. See you in a bit."

Cheyenne hung up with Raina and immediately called Detective Lawrence. "Toledo Police Department," a woman's voice said.