Chapter 25

On her second night in Michael's place, Cheyenne tossed and turned in bed. She couldn't sleep. The dream she kept having prevented her from sleeping. It was a violent dream and scared her. She threw the covers back and pushed herself up from the bed. Maybe a glass of milk would soothe her.

She opened the door and popped her head out to see if Michael's door was open. She saw it wasn't and tip-toed downstairs to the kitchen where she poured herself a glass of milk. She tried to shake off the feeling that something bad was going to happen.

She was still standing at the kitchen counter when all the lights came on. She jumped and the glass she was holding fell onto the floor. It didn't break, but milk was everywhere.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you." Cheyenne immediately started to look for something to clean the mess.

"I thought you were sleeping. Did I wake you?" Michael rushed over to her.

"No. I couldn't sleep." She glanced over at the clock on the stove and noticed it was three thirty in the morning.

"Me neither. A nightmare prevents me from doing so."

Michael nodded at the floor. "The glass of spilled milk tells me that you couldn't. Tell me, what was your dream was about?" He pulled open a drawer and grabbed a couple of towels.

Cheyenne bit her lip and debated whether or not to tell him. Upon deciding to, she questioned where to begin. "It was a pretty gruesome and brutal nightmare. Where do I begin?"

"How about from the beginning. Take your time in doing so." He bent down to begin the cleanup process.

"This is my mess. I should clean it up," Cheyenne said.

"No. I'll clean. You describe your dream."

She nodded fastidiously. "It was just so strange. There was someone chasing me through the woods, you know, like what you see in the movies. I kept running and running, but got lost in the process. As I stood there and looked around, trying to find a place to hide, someone attacked me. Though I couldn't see the face, I knew it was a man. We struggled on the ground until he subdues and handcuffs me. He winds up taking me to this house, I think, and into the basement. Once I'm in the basement, he starts beating me and when he's done he stands over me with an incredibly wicked smile. Next he squats down and starts caressing me. Mind you, my arms and legs are bound. The next thing I know, he's on top of me. After he..." She gulped. "When he's done, he starts stabbing me. It's so brutal and terrifying. I have never had a nightmare like that before."

"That's quite a nightmare, but it'll be okay. I'm going to keep you safe. You know, it could be fear of what could happen to you after the things that have happened to you lately."

"Perhaps." She paused thoughtfully. "Now let me help." She grabbed a towel.

She focused on the mess, unaware Michael had quit cleaning and was now staring at her. Once the mess was cleaned up, she looked over at him and smiled. When she realized that he was staring at her, she suddenly felt shy.

"You are so beautiful," he whispered.

"Whatever."

"You are."

"Stop it." Cheyenne could feel the heat rising from her neck to her cheeks. She stared down at the floor.

All of a sudden, Michael grabbed her by the arm and pulled her to him. His lips met hers. Cheyenne dropped the towel. Startled, she stared at him as he kissed her, but then she wrapped her arms around his neck and closed her eyes. One of his hands began to untie her robe and slid it off her. She put her hands on the bottom of his undershirt and slowly pulled it over his head. He began to kiss her more intensely. They rubbed their hands over each other's bodies. Leaning back as he began to kiss her neck, she moaned. He lay her down on the floor and Michael took her tank top off, exposing her breasts. She moaned as he caressed them.