Chapter 58

Two weeks later, Cheyenne moved out of ICU and was talking. Her voice sounded like a frog's croak, but she was talking.

Michael, Raina, and Mrs. Warner were at the hospital every day with her.

Cheyenne gazed out the window and quietly watched the tree tops sway in the breeze. "Rain?"

"What's up?"

"Thank you."

"For what?" Raina asked from the leather chair she sat in and studied her sister across the room.

"Being here for me through all this craziness."

"Stop thanking me. It's what sisters are for. I'm just glad that you're alive and doing better."

"You know it's not over yet, don't you?"

Raina sighed. She knew what Cheyenne was talking about. "Yeah. I know, but we have to have some faith in the police."

"Yeah. Well. You saw how that worked out. No one, not even the police, can protect me. Eric is highly intelligent. One way or the other, he'll find a way to get to me. There's just no stopping him, Rain. You and Michael should just go away and let him finish me off. Protect yourselves." Cheyenne felt defeated. She knew there was no hope. He was going to kill her.

Raina rushed to her sister's side and grabbed her hand to squeeze. "Don't talk like that! We are not giving up on you or finding Eric. I know we'll get him, Chey. Michael, well, he'd be even more discouraged if he heard you talking like this. He's blaming himself for this." She nodded at Cheyenne's wound. "Don't give up, because we're not giving up on you nor are we losing hope. All I ask is that you not mention this conversation to Michael. Okay?"

Cheyenne reluctantly agreed. She knew her sister was right. "I won't. The last thing I want to do is hurt him any further."

"Besides, sis, by giving up, you're letting Eric have the control over you that he so desperately craves. Don't allow him to do this to you again. Be a survivor, not a victim."

Cheyenne sighed. "I know. You're right. It's just so hard to see you guys worrying over me so much. To see what you and Michael have gone through because of me and what Eric has done. I can hardly bare to see how difficult it has been for you. Don't try to deny it, Rain. I can see the toll it's taken on you. I know things have been especially difficult for Michael. Neither of you have been very good at hiding the wear and tear on yourselves. On top of everything, Aiden is dead because of me."

"He's emotional. So am I. It's because we love you so much. No matter what, Chey, we'll never stop caring or worrying about you. You know you would do the same thing if the situation was reversed. Yes, it has taken its toll on us, but we would do it all over again. We love you and so does Mrs. Warner. If we didn't want to be by your side, we wouldn't." Raina gently tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and whispered. "We're family. What else is family but to support one another?" Raina sighed. "As much as I hate to say this, I'm going to admit it. I think Aiden deserved what he go. The marriage was pretty much over with, anyhow."

Cheyenne began to respond to what Raina said when Michael walked in. "Hey baby. How are you feeling?"

"As good as I can for being in here."

"I hear that. At least you're doing better and out of ICU."

"Yeah. Well. All I want to do is go home and get out of this place."

"Soon baby. Soon."

"She's been impatient. That's all she's been talking about." Raina gave her a warning look. "I keep telling her to be patient, get healed up, and it'll happen."

"One thing I've learned since she's been living with me is that she definitely knows what she wants."

"Hey! Guys! I'm right here."

"Sometimes we have to talk in front of you to get your attention, sis."

"I'm sure that's what it is. Why don't we switch places and see how you feel? Keep in mind that I'm the one who was stalked and shot. Remember that," Cheyenne reminded them.

Michael pursed his lips. "I'm sorry. It should've been me. You can't imagine how it makes me feel and how much it hurts to see you in here. It pains me, Chey."

She stared at him and her heart melted. The look on his face was filled with pain and sorrow. "Michael, I know it's not your fault.

I'm just frustrated with being here. All I want to do is go home."

"I know, baby. I know, but you'll have to be patient. Okay?" he whispered.

She shrugged her left shoulder. "Okay." When she looked over to say something to Raina, her sister wasn't there. "Where'd she go?"

"I don't know. Maybe she went to the restroom." Cheyenne sighed. "Maybe."

~

Fifteen minutes later, Raina reappeared. She had been crying.

"Sorry, Chey. I had to give you two sometime alone. It was getting too emotional for me."

The nurse's form shadowed the door. She came in, checked her vitals, and gave her pain meds. "How are you feeling today, Mrs. O'Neill?"

"Let's put it this way, I'd rather be at home. I'd definitely be much happier there."

"I understand. No one wants to be in the hospital, but there is an upside to it all."

"What's that?"

"You will go home. Being in here won't last forever." She patted Cheyenne's leg. "Just focus on getting better, honey. You'll get there. The nurse snapped up the clipboard, winked and smiled. "You're getting there, sweetie." She left the room.

"She seemed optimistic," Raina stated.

"Let's hope things get better." Hearing the words aloud, Cheyenne knew she didn't mean only herself. No matter how much she wanted to get better, she wanted Eric to leave her alone even more so. Though there were no further discussions about him, he wasn't far from her thoughts.

~

Michael and Raina stayed for a few hours before leaving for the night. Mrs. Warner visited for a little while as well. After they left, Cheyenne breathed a sigh of relief. Though their visits were welcome, she was also glad when they left. The only bad thing about being alone was that it made her think. Eric. When would he show up again? What was he planning for her this time? Oh God! Please help me, but mostly my family.