Chapter 57

Time seemed to stand still but her condition improved. Michael, Raina, and Mrs. Warner took turns staying with her for the last three days. They talked and read to her all hoping for a quick recovery.

"Hey Chey," Raina said as she walked over to her sister. "Guess what I got? I did a little shopping this morning and I bought this great pair of heels. They are turquoise and would look great with that black fringe dress in your closet. When you wake up, I'll show them to you." She bit her lip. "You've got to come to, Chey. We need you. I miss talking with my best friend." She pulled a chair next to the hospital bed. She kept talking to her sister when Raina heard Cheyenne moan. "Chey?" Cheyenne moaned again. "Chey, Chey. You're awake!" Cheyenne opened her eyes. Raina was excited. "Oh sis! You're back. You're back."

Cheyenne blinked her eyes, wondering what happened. Where was she? How did she get here? She gazed at Raina questioningly.

Knowing that Cheyenne wanted answers, Raina grabbed her hand. "I'll tell you everything, but I'll go get Michael and Mrs. Warner first. Okay?" Cheyenne nodded slightly. "Be right back."

When Raina walked out, Cheyenne looked around the room trying to get her bearings and figure out where she was. It was a small room with white walls. It was lined with pink and blue flowered border paper. Instead of there being a door, a set of curtains was in place. Reaching up to touch her neck, she felt something down her throat. She looked up and saw all the machines beeping around her. Frustrated, Cheyenne hit her side where she had had the surgery and cried out in pain.

Michael walked in, saw her eyes open, and rushed to her side. "Baby, you're awake." He noticed her agitation. "What's wrong?"

She held her side with one hand and pointed with the other. She tried to talk, but she couldn't. Cheyenne wanted to scream. It upset her to not understand what was going on.

"Hey. It'll be all right. I promise." He kissed her.

Cheyenne started to cry in her attempt to communicate with him, but he didn't understand her. Raina walked in and Cheyenne looked at her with pleading eyes.

Raina understood. "Michael, I know what she wants."

"What's that?" he asked without taking his eyes off his wife.

"She wants to know how she got here. Am I right, Chey?" Cheyenne nodded. "I'll explain when Mrs. Warner comes back from the restroom."

Cheyenne nodded and pointed to her throat. "Your throat hurts?" Cheyenne nodded. Raina held up her index finger. "I'll go ask the nurse what she can give you to help with that."

~

Cheyenne brows furrowed in anger while she stared up at the ceiling after her sister's explanation. Of course. Eric did this.

Hopefully the ones' who helped him escape would be severely punished for putting her life in danger once again. Now she had to worry about fighting for her life again. When would this nightmare end? She started to wish she had died. At least, that way, she wouldn't have to endure more. Why didn't they let her die so she didn't have to have any further fears? He wasn't going to give up until she was dead anyway, so why not let her die?

"Cheyenne, sweetheart," Mrs. Warner said, "don't worry. The police and Detective Lawrence are keeping an eye out for Eric. Detective Lawrence also has an officer outside the door twenty- four seven. You are protected. Eric won't ever hurt you again."

Tears streamed down her face, Cheyenne moaned and shook her head. No one could protect her from him. He would always find a way to get to her. Over the last year, he had more than proven it.

A nurse walked in. "Hello Mrs. O'Neill. Welcome back." She checked Cheyenne's pulse and replaced both bags of saline and pain medicine. "How are you feeling?" Cheyenne waved her hand. "I'm refilling your pain medicine to make your pain go away for a while because the pain you feel now would be a lot worse. Trust me. I've seen it before."

Everyone watched the nurse. Cheyenne suddenly felt sleepy. She began to fall asleep even as she tried to fight it, but her attempts to stay awake failed. Cheyenne drifted off and heard Michael whisper, "I hope a police officer being out there can keep her safe where I could not."