Chapter 9

Cheyenne rolled off the couch, her neck and back sore. You're the one who stayed up all night trying to clean the apartment. She yawned and nodded approval at the finished job Raina had helped to complete.

There was an unexpected knock on the door. Who the hell is it now? She rolled her eyes and shook her head before she stood to answer it.

"Who is it?"

"It's me, Daniel."

Cheyenne unlocked and opened the door. "What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to check up on you and see how you're doing."

"I'm fine." She shifted from one foot to the other, debating if she should invite him in. Finally, with a shrug, she opened the door wider. She motioned him in. "Come on in."

Daniel walked in. "So...."

"What?" She defiantly crossed her arms over her chest. "Could I get something to drink, please?"

"Sure. What would you like? I've got some lemonade." 

"Yeah. That's fine. Thanks."

He followed her into the kitchen and quietly watched Cheyenne as she poured him a glass of lemonade. She handed him the glass, he took a sip and studied her. The way he looked at her made her nervous.

"Look, Daniel, let's cut to the chase. Why did you really come over? I know it's not simply for a glass of lemonade." Cheyenne glared at him.

"You really don't like me, do you?" He studied her facial features. "Regardless of your reservations, I really did come over to check on you."

"Uh huh."

"Obviously, there's nothing I can say to change your mind. So, I'll go, but my door is always open." He handed the glass to Cheyenne and backed away. "See you later." He left.

Cheyenne stood there holding the glass and shook her head. "Men! They are so over dramatic." With a huff, she turned and put the glass in the sink. "What am I going to do now?" she whispered. Take two aspirin and go to bed. You need sleep. She lay there in the curtained darkness. Why did he really come over? Is he the one who trashed my apartment? He's a strange man, but it could just be a coincidence.

~

Cheyenne stared at the ceiling and thought not only about the apartment, but Tyler and where her life was going. She felt good about being independent, but it felt lonely, too. She closed her eyes and reminisced what it was like in Tyler's arms and the way he kissed her. Maybe I do need to see a therapist.

The phone rang, cutting into her thoughts. Cheyenne pushed herself up and grabbed the phone.

She recognized Raina's number. "Hello, Raina."

"Hey sis."

"What's up?"

"Just checking on my little sister." 

"You don't need to. I'm fine."

"Yeah, yeah. You're always fine, but I know you better than that. How are you really?"

Before she could answer, her other line beeped through. Relieved, Cheyenne said, "Hold on. My other line is beeping. Be right back."

"Chey!" was all she heard Raina say before clicking over. "Hello?"

"You okay?"

Cheyenne was tired of Raina and Gaby's constantly checking in on her. "Look, Gabrielle, I'm fine. Between you and Raina, I've got no time to think or breathe. On top of dealing with you two, Daniel won't leave me alone. Not to mention, I need to get back to my writing. I need to be left alone for a little while."