Chapter 21

Detective Lawrence finished his questions and Cheyenne turned to her sister. As soon as Raina opened her arms, Cheyenne fell into them and cried.

"It's okay Chey. It's okay. Don't worry about the car. It can be replaced. You can't."

"When is this going to stop? Who is doing this? Why? I know I'm not perfect, but what have I done to make someone hate me this much?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Someone is crazy. Come and stay with us for a while. You'll be safe."

Cheyenne nodded. "Okay. I don't think I can handle any more."

"Cheyenne! Are you okay? Are you hurt? I came the minute I heard." Michael walked up to her.

Cheyenne wiped the tears away. "I'm not hurt. I'm okay. How did you know?"

"Detective Lawrence just told me as we passed outside. I wondered why he was here. He said you were pretty shaken. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. Really."

"You shouldn't stay here. It's too dangerous." Michael put a protective arm around her

"I know." She noticed the concern in his eyes and smiled at him. "Trust me, I'm fine."

He grabbed her and pulled her to him. He rocked her in his arms. "Come and stay with me."

"What?" She had her hands on his chest and stared at him curiously.

"Stay with me."

"I don't know. I've already told my sister that I would stay with her." She turned and pointed at Raina.

"Chey, it's okay. It might be better to stay with him. Who would suspect that?" Raina winked.

She knew that despite the circumstances, Raina was finding the humor in this and the time for match making. Raina was taking advantage of the situation.

"She's right. It'll be a lot safer for you. I've got plenty of security. I'll have one of the spare bedrooms ready for you." He held one hand out. "But that's only if you agree to it."

"I don't want to be a burden."

"You wouldn't be. Believe me."

Cheyenne turned to Raina. "You wouldn't be offended?"

"Nope," Raina replied with a sly grin.

Cheyenne thought that she sounded a little too cheerful about it.

"Hey guys. What happened here?" Daniel asked as he made his way to them.

"My sister's car was set on fire." Cheyenne looked directly into his eyes "Do you know anything about it?"

"Why would I?"

"Daniel, right?" Raina stepped forward. "Yes, uhhh..."

"I'm Raina, Cheyenne's sister."

"Right. Sorry."

"Hello. I'm Michael, Cheyenne's attorney and friend." He offered his hand to shake.

Daniel hesitantly shook Michael's hand. "I'm Daniel Schindler, Cheyenne's neighbor. Pleasure to meet you."

Cheyenne noticed Daniel begin to sweat and look around. He wouldn't even look at her. Nor could he stand still. He was a little too fidgety. "Daniel, are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"You just seem...nervous."

His head shot up and he gave her the most terrifying look she had ever seen. "Are you implying something, Ms. Harrington? Because if you are, you're wrong. You want to accuse me of something? Go ahead. I haven't done anything wrong. You don't even come to me for anything and don't act like you even trust me. I..." He quit talking and stormed off.