13. Overheard

Kat

I don't know who the poor sap that felt the need to add swimming to the senior girl's gym curriculum, but swimming in a pool of chlorine and piss isn't exactly how I like to spend my morning first period class.

"You feel like coming over for a movie binge this weekend?" Jade asked, pulling her red top over her head, her hair, which shed made no effort to dry, still dripping from the pool water.

"Can't," I replied, making a face.

"Carnival with Nate, next time though right?"

"Yeah totally," she replied.

I looked at her grinning face quizzically for a second.

"What are you so happy about?" I asked, turning to get my duffel bag from my gym locker, before pulling it out and forcibly jamming in my swimsuit and towel into it.

"I don't know, I'm just happy you're connecting with old friends, you've never been one to look to the past a lot," she shrugged.

I closed my gym locker and turned back to her.

Since my mom left, I've never been one to want to reminisce on my life's past.

"Well yeah, if you keep looking back all the time you'll miss what's in front of you, but there are gems you drop that you gotta go to the past for to pick back up," I responded.

Jade opened her mouth to speak, but a sharp voice cut through.

"She has no idea, I came up with it as soon as I saw her freak out over alcohol before going wayyy overboard."

Jade pointed to a corner and we leaned over the side, before our eyes landed on Beverly talking to one of her cronies, who was hanging on her every word.

"Brain has never been able to turn down a bet. I mean she's an easy and gullible idiot who just wants a boyfriend, he gets some, I get some entertainment, it's a win win win."

Jade and I inched closer to the sourced of the noise

"I mean and all I had to do was bet him he couldn't screw that fat chick Quinn before prom."

I snuck a look over the lockers to see who it was.

It was Beverly and one of her friends.

I pulled away as I sensed her becoming aware of her surroundings, probably realizing anyone could overhear her conversation.

Before she could turn her head my way, Jade pulled me back, giving me an are you crazy look.

I responded with a did you not just fucking see that expression.

My hand hit the locker next to me, ouch, but right now the least of my problems.

"Did you hear that?" Beverly's friend asked before Jade and I grabbed our stuff and ran off.

We took off until we were outside where anyone following us couldn't find us.

When we stopped running, almost completely out of breath, Jade was the first to break the silence.

"You so have to tell your friend Nathan," she breathed, taking a second to take a giant breath in.