17. Minor adjustments

Nate

"Remind me again why I'm here?" I asked, pulling out a random dress of a rack.

It was about fifteen days before the day every girl in my school would be wearing dresses in attempt to show off how different they suddenly look in makeup and a dress, also known as prom.

Believe me I'm not trashing it at all, it can be a fun time and makes for a great time and place setting for certain movies if done right, like Carrie.

"Because my dress looks too much like Beverly's and she told me that I can't wear the same dress as her,"

"Okay but didn't you have a second one just in case you changed your mind about the first one?" I asked, recalling a snippet from a snapchat post.

"Yeah but that was before I realized my first dress was almost identical to Beverly's. Now we have to find one that's better," she explained.

Maybe explained was the wrong word to use because now I'm even more confused.

"Wait isn't she your friend though? Why would you want to outdo a friend?" I asked.

She sighed in an exaggerated tone and touched my shoulder with a sympathetic expression

"You just don't understand girls Nate, that's why you're still single," she replied in a voice of obvious fake kindness and understanding.

"Alright," I replied flatly not trying to get mad and turning back to a rack.

"How about this one?" I replied picking up the first dress I saw with her dress size that looked pretty good.

"Uhh, what size is that?" She asked.

"Twenty five," I replied casually, proud of myself for remembering her dress size.

She scoffed at me.

"I have never been a 25, see? This is an 18," she replied, holding it up.

"I fit this one, not that tent you insist is my size," she shot back.

'Okay damn.' I thought to myself as I put it back on the rack.

Quinn scanned around her for a second before grabbing an extravagant dress and holding it against herself.

"There see, now this is my size," she expressed smiling at it, smoothing out the skirt.

Matthew wandered over before taking a look at the situation and gave me a weird face in response.

Quinn, picking up on our silent conversation got annoyed and started walking with the dress in a sort of rushed pace.

"I'm going to try it on," she huffed, taking it to the dressing room in the back.

We stopped right in front of the fitting room and waited for her as a bored employee with lots of tattoos chewing a wad of gum with earbuds blasting music so loud I could hear it unlocked the room.

Quinn marched into that room.

"I know size is a thing she's supposed to care about but I mean come on, getting smaller sizes doesn't mean you're gonna fit, no shame in it she knows that," Matthew sighed, crossing his arms.