What Happened To Frederick

I sighed before I took a big bite on my grilled cheese. My eyes widen as the buttery taste melts in my mouth. I looked up at Emma, who was smiling while nodding her head.

"That is not possible. Whoever thought grilled cheese would tastes so good?" I said happily as I took another bite. "Mmm. This is so much better than Granny's. Don't tell her I said that."

"Now try it with some ham." Emma chuckled before she glanced at the clock. "Oh, It's almost 9. I should be getting you home." I let out a sigh as I moved my plate. She gave me confused look. "Everything ok at home?"

I gave her a sarcastic smile. "Yeah, if you consider my dad watching me like a hawk now and won't let me go anywhere besides school or with you."

"Jax, you did get attacked a few days ago. I get where he's coming from. You weren't there when I found him beating Mr. French with his cane. I never seen him so furious about anything. He yelled 'you went after my daughter. My daughter! My Little Raven!' If I haven't gotten there in time he might have actually killed him."

I crossed my arms. "You should have. Guy deserves it for beating me." And taking Dad's special tea cup. The cup's chipped, but for some unknown reason it's very special to him. I don't even know the main reason all he ever told me was that it was given to him from a friend.

"No, what he deserves is a cramp prison cell for endangering a minor."

I scoffed as I grabbed my jacket and we left her loft. "You almost sound like Graham. He would be giving me the same speech...after he kicks Mr. French's ass."

"Because we both know when it comes to danger any parent would risk anything to make sure their kid is safe. No matter what cost." She gave me a concern look as we walked down the stairs. "And speaking as a concern parent, or friend, mind telling me the name of the guy you're hanging out with? Do I need to remind you of the dangers of talking to strangers?

I smirked as I crossed my arms. She still doesn't know August's name. "Or is this a way of you getting his name? Sorry, I can't help you there. He gave me $50 to keep my mouth shut and not tell you."

Emma raised her eyebrow at me as we got in her car. "And that didn't scream stranger danger to you."

I shrugged. "Hey, $50 is $50."

》》》》

And speaking of August, guess who offered to take me to school? For some odd reason August is always in front of Dad's shop and he would either give me rides to school or the dock. We even went sailing the other day. I don't even want to know how he knew I love the water. The only time I felt a bit uncomfortable was when he started asking me questions about my real father. Like do I remember anything about him? Or if I see him, would I be able to recognize him? Well, if you count a beer belly and terrible odor recognizable then sure. Does Dad know about him taking me to school? Hell no, he would have walked me to school everyday. Just yesterday I ushered August to meet me at the corner so Dad wouldn't see me with him.

I gave him a smile as I returned his helmet. "Thanks for the ride."

He smile back. "Anytime. Stay out of trouble." Then he drove off.

"No promises!" I yelled after him. I saw him give me a thumbs up down the street.

I walked inside the building and went towards Mary Margaret's classroom. I wanted to laugh when I saw her coming down the stairs with her phone in one hand and a big smile on her face. I heard the phrases 'start over together' and 'you did the right thing,' so I'm guessing David finally had the guts to leave Kathryn.

Mary Margaret let out a happy sigh as I caught up with her. "Something tells me that you're about to reunite with your Prince Charming."

She gave a little nod. "He wants to come over after school."