Chapter 9

The night was still awake for Konoha 11. It was about 2 hours from Naruto's birthday ending, and Hinata was growing anxious by the minute. She had barely spoken a word to him except when he had offered a drink and she had politely declined, with the usual studdering of course. Hinta kept thinking if she had taken that drink, what would've happened? Would they sit and talk? Dance after they've both filled up their thirst? She looked at the two sitting in the corner solemly, then averted her eyes to her cup when Naruto turned her way, wishing she was Sakura right now. Why were they together? Yeah they're teammates but I'd thought she would be with the girls? When did she start talking to him all of a sudden? she thought. Hinata had so many more questions whirling in her head that she didn't even notice that the now 17 year old was walking up to her.

"Hinata, you all right?" he asked.

Her head flew up when she heard his lovely voice and blushed. "Y-yes Naruto-k-kun," she looked at him innocently, which made Naruto think, Hinata looks so cute doing that-wait, why did that just come in my head?! He mentally shook his head feverishly.

"Why are you standing by yourself then? You don't enjoy the party?"

"N-no, it's not t-hat, I-"

"She was just waiting for you to ask her to dance, silly!" Ino jumped in the conversation, swaying her hips to the music and smiling. She was tired of Hinata not doing anything and so helped her make the first move. Both Hinata's and Naruto's eyes grew large at this. She suspected Ino was drunk, but then concluded she would do something like this even if she sober. Both had not expected her to do that, especially Naruto, who was the oblivious one, especially to a girls feelings.

"I, I uh-"

"Come on Hinata! One dance won't hurt!" He grinned and grabbed her wrist, pulling her to the dance floor, to which she let out a little squeal in surprise. Hinata looked back and saw Ino winking and gave her a thumbs up, making her blush even more.

She didn't know if she was going to survive this. Dance, with the love of her life? She was questioning in her mind what Ino was trying to do. Make Hinata embarrass herself? She knew that she would never gain the blonde's heart, for his eyes were set on his pink haired teammate, but a little hope wouldn't hurt for Hinata to try.

* * * * * *

Sakura's gaze were on the pair dancing in the smack-dab center. Of course Naruto wouldn't think of Hinata's timidness. How would she dance in front of all these people, especially Naruto? His hands were wildly flying in the air, and Hinata's red face stayed put while she watched the man in front of her shyly, moving each of her shoulders in a back and forth motion. Anyone could tell that Hinata wasn't used to that sort of thing, she wasn't confident enough yet to let herself loose. Sakura had felt something when Naruto had left to go to the Hyuga... but what was it? Dissapointent? Longing? She had no clue, but she did know that she enjoyed their talk, well mostly Naruto's talk, with him rattling off about his 3 year long training with Jiraiya, and she asking him a few questions about how he felt about today and the party.

She had at one point thought that she had gained feelings for Naruto, but she had no reasons to. Sure she enjoyed his presence, at times, but he was just her friend and teammate, right?

Sakura got up and poured herself a drink, almost spilling it because she wasn't aware of the figure behind her.

"Can you hurry up?" the cold, emotionless voice asked.

She pursed her lips. Sasuke hadn't been any different from when he left, and she had hoped he would've changed by now, considering he had completed his mission to kill his brother. But he was here, at this party, so she didn't want to retaliate to his rude tone.