there's no oxygen on the moon, but down here i can breathe just fine

Upon Hoseok's insistence, they went shopping for matching detective outfits, finally deciding on black pants and matching black hoodies that were "good for sneaking around." ("Hyung, we're just getting a phone, not pulling an entire heist." "Shut up, Jeonggukkie, let me have my fun.") Hoseok had wanted to get them embroidered with some sort of matchmaking logo, but Jeongguk's willingness to do anything to make Hoseok happy had a limit, and that limit had a direct correlation with his budget.

Nevertheless, it was hard to not let Hoseok's excitement spread, especially as he pulled the hood up. It felt cool, Jeongguk had to admit to himself. (Not to Hoseok, though.)

It was even harder to not let his flush show as Hoseok grabbed his hand and started running.

Because Hoseok's hand was so warm. and it felt so nice clasped in Jeongguk's. And Jeongguk absentmindedly started rubbing his thumb in circles over Hoseok's knuckles once they slowed down, Hoseok apparently forgetting that he no longer needed to hold Jeongguk's hand (and that he needed to hold it in the first place). Not that Jeongguk was complaining.

He was almost disappointed when they reached Namjoon's apartment, because Hoseok had to drop Jeongguk's hand in order to dig around in his pocket for the keys Yoongi had given him.

"So you're sure they're not in there?"

"Yes, hyung. Yoongi and Jimin said they'd take him out to keep his mind occupied."

"Wouldn't he take his phone, though?"

Jeongguk smiled. "Nope. Jimin suggested they all leave their phones behind and just focus on the present, because life is flying by too fast and you'll miss it if you're looking at a screen or something like that."

Hoseok whistled. "Impressive. Jeon Jeongguk, are you secretly a con man and have never told me?"

Jeongguk only wiggled his eyebrows. "Now, I'd ruin everything if I told you, wouldn't I?"

Hoseok unlocked the door and shoved Jeongguk inside.

They didn't need to be sitting so close. Jeongguk had told himself this and sat on one end of the couch, giving Hoseok the opportunity to sit at least five feet away. But no, Jung freaking Hoseok had to give Jeongguk less than a damn inch to catch his breath.

It didn't help that they were bent over the same phone, heads extremely close together. If he got a little closer their cheeks would be touching.

Jeongguk was startled out of his thoughts when Hoseok clucked his tongue. "I feel like this is an invasion of privacy, Jeongguk. I mean, you wouldn't want someone going through your phone, right?"

Jeongguk looked at him. They were still too close. "Desperate times call for desperate measures, Hobi-hyung. Sure, I wouldn't want someone going through my phone, but then again I haven't made my relationship with my best friend and the light of my life complicated and angsty." Yet, he thinks, but if he kept not moving away from Hoseok and Hoseok kept not moving away from Jeongguk and maybe if Jeongguk kept not crushing down these feelings maybe their relationship would be complicated and angsty.

Hoseok nodded slowly, meeting Jeongguk's eyes fully and offering a hint of a smile. "I guess you're right. And I have full access to your phone if you ever do mess things up with that person."

I hope I don't.

Jeongguk grinned, then Hoseok grinned, and Jeongguk just kind of stared at him, because Hoseok's smile never failed to steal the air in his chest.

"Alright. Time to investigate: jellymarbles. Who are they? And what business do they have with our friends?"

Hoseok wouldn't disclose the details, only that he was gifted in stalking social media. Jeongguk decided he didn't want to know, and left to get them a snack from the kitchen.

At least, that's the reason he told Hoseok. And it was one of the reasons, just not the primary one. The primary one had a lot to do with how Hoseok's profile was illuminated by the light streaming from the phone's screen, and how he leaned his head on Jeongguk's shoulder (leading to completely slumping against him eventually "Because you're warm, you're like a human space heater"), and how Jeongguk could feel the song Hoseok was humming because his chest was pressed against Jeongguk's shoulder.

Now he was trying his best to control his heartbeat, leaning against the stove while pouring out hot chocolate for the both of them. If he had stayed in there any longer, he might have just combusted. That would have been hard to explain.

Jeongguk looked out the window. How had it gotten so late? The sun was long gone, now replaced by the moon and stars. He sighed, and rested his arms on the counter so he could gaze out into space.

The moment he felt a presence next to him wasn't startling; in fact, it was comforting. Hoseok gently bumped their shoulders together and stayed there, holding the mugs of hot chocolate. He pressed one into Jeongguk's hand and sipped one himself.

They just stared out of the small kitchen window, Jeongguk's forearms sticking to the tile of the counter and Hoseok's side tucked into Jeongguk's.

It was beautiful how neither felt the need to fill the silence. The only sounds were of the dishwasher running and their breathing. Being next to each other, that was enough.

Until it wasn't, and Jeongguk found himself looking at Hoseok instead. He was just too pretty, and his face was shining with the moonlight. Jeongguk's eyes traced him, the soft curve of his cheekbones, the gentle slope of his nose, the cute half-smile his lips (his lips, oh God) formed because when you're Jung Hoseok your resting face is a beam.

Jeongguk breathed in and out, in and out, and it was so much easier to breathe out here because quite possibly Hoseok was his air and now that they were both so raw Hoseok made his way right into Jeongguk's lungs.

Jeongguk smiled to himself, and despite it being cold in the kitchen he was so, so warm right now.