Midnight Outing (Mark)

You were quiet in the passenger seat watching Mark drive. It was warm in LA tonight, forcing you to wear short sleeves instead of the formidable hoodie that you loved so much. Mark didn't mind, though, his thoughts on where the two of you could go for your midnight meal.

You two had been the only two left at the office, and when you said you were hungry, Mark had a devious smile on his face.

"You alright?" Mark asks you, quickly glancing at you when he pauses at a stop sign. Shaking your head you smile.

"Yeah, just curious as to where we're going." You watch Mark's face light up and the all too familiar mischievous smile form on his lips.

"Just a diner," Mark says, turning the car into an IHOP parking lot. You can't help but smile, loving that this was the first place he always wanted to go to when it was just the two of you.

You and him walk into IHOP and flag down a waitress who looks like she's bubbling over with excitement when her eyes land on Mark. Grinning, you nudge him when she sits you in a booth.

"She's a fan," you tell him, flipping through the menu. Mark chuckles and gives a shrug, looking over your shoulder. After browsing the menu, you look up only to have the waitress at the table immediately.

"What can I get you two?" she asks, smiling. You freeze, the words getting caught in your throat. Mark takes this chance to list off the breakfast that he wants and stops to look at you, who is still frozen.

"Tell me what you want," Mark murmurs, wrapping his arm around your shoulders to give you a comforting squeeze. Panicking, you point at the nearest kids menu meal without looking up at the waitress or Mark. Mark laughs softly and looks up at the waitress. "She wants a kids meal, but I'm gonna ask you if you have an adult version of the French toast here." Mark takes the menu and slides it towards the woman, resting his index on the French toast on the kid's menu. The waitress laughs and nods, writing down "adult kids Fre. T".

"Anything else?"

"Two coffee's please- it's our lunch break," Mark smiles sweetly, folding the menus up and handing them to the waitress. She raises an eyebrow but stays silent and walks away with the menus and your orders. When she's out of ear shot, you turn to Mark and hug him.

"Thank you," you mumble into his shoulder, thanking him for ordering your meal. You pull away when the waitress sets down the coffee mugs and a pot of coffee, her smile wide when she sees you looking at her.

"I forget sometimes that you have anxiety," Mark says, grabbing your hand under the table while he moves around the coffee mugs. You fix your mug with one hand, having Mark help you open packages with his free hand, both of you laughing when you manage to spill one of the small containers of cream. Mark pulls his hand away from yours to wipe it up, your hand feeling empty and cold.

Frowning, you replace the missing warmth with the mug of coffee and take a sip, admiring Mark as he pulls his hair out of his face to see if there was anymore creamer on the table. He piled the napkins he had used on the edge of the counter and leaned back in the booth, casually yawning and reaching his arm around your shoulders, giving you a playful smirk.

Smiling, you rest your head on his shoulder and let your hand wander down his thigh, your attention focused on the sound of his beating heart. You had just closed your eyes when the smell of food made you sit up, your hands flying to the plate that the waitress had brought. Mark chuckles, his arm leaving your side to grab the plate.

The two of you enjoy your midnight meal, not talking until you both had your fill and needed a to-go container. Mark waved down the waitress and began to write a check for the meal.

"What're you doing?" You stop him, pulling out your wallet so you can drop some money down yourself.

"Paying for the meal," Mark says matter-of-factly and continues to write the check. You groan and sink down in the booth, pushing the money to the tray that the waitress would take. "You can thank me later," Mark tells you with a wink. You feel the heat creep into your cheeks knowing that he'd probably have you under his desk in a matter of seconds once the two of you got back to the office.

"Let's go," Mark says, standing up with the bag of food in one hand, the other out stretched to you. You take it nervously and laugh when he pulls you up, his arms wrapping around your waist. "Let's go back to the office and figure out how you can repay me." He waggles his brows at you playfully before pressing a kiss to your temple and helping you into the car, taking you back to the quiet and empty office.