4

The night air felt balmy as fireflies fluttered to close around the enclosed structure occupied by the young geisha. Night creatures begun to roam as the odd duo halted near the small hut, sheltered against a dense forest and the perky female quickly raised the bar served as a lock so as to slid the erected bamboo door open.

The host moves backwards for her guest to gain entreè whose facial expression at no time altered since the duration of their trek. Sometimes, Fukumi speculated if Haruka made an effort to crack a smile.

For unknown reasons, the female experienced a dull ache physically for the lone being.

She savoured in the ronin's enigmatic presence, without a pause the perky girl rearranged the kitchen area that incorporated in the same space as the living room. Rust metal cutleries with slight dents due to regular usage and a memory linked to her sicken mother.

Eldest amongst three siblings, Fukumi had travelled all the way to Edo from her small village at a vulnerable aged of thirteen. Thankfully, the kind men from the same community had accompanied thus built the hut for her.

"Haruka-san, you may wear my yukata for tonight since I'll be washing the one that you're wearing," she beamed.

A fire was lit inside the small pit whilst Fukumi awaited for the water to boil so she could arrange both of their baths. The only noise resonated in the hut was from the utensils. Whilst water churned, the geisha strolled for a pile of clothes to yank a comfortable yukata and ambled toward the figure situated near the front entrance.

Both swords were between her legs as one leaned against her chest; an arm flung over the crooked knee whilst another leg curved slightly on the floor. A lone figure dissociated from the living world.

"You don't have to trouble yourself," she spoke monotonously.

"My name is Minata Fukumi," she smiled even though her boarder looks fixedly at the dark yard. "Haruka-san is my first guest, it is the least I can do for anyone who comes to visit me."

The young girl kneeled professionally to outstretched both arms covered by the flowery patterned yukata. Patiently, she bid one's time just as forest-green eyes collided with her own that of which suffered years of unimaginable agony. Fukumi could only ponder.

"I won't wear this," Haruka's voice jolted her to the reality. "It's too short for my height."

"Nobody will see Haruka-san here except for me," she shifted on her knees a little. "The water is almost boiled for you to take a warm soak outdoors."

Jade coloured eyes flickered toward Fukumi; obsidian-shade whilst hazel-tone waist length hair parted in the middle framed her heart-shaped countenance. Their gaze locked onto one another differed by personal thoughts and feelings.

Intense and wary.

Hopeful and kind.

Tapered fingers contrasted against the white tape grasped the edge of the lightweight material just as Fukumi allowed both her hands to fall away.

She advanced toward the makeshift kitchen to carefully fetch the pot of hot water all the way to the side of the hut and returned inside to replenish the steamy pot with cold water to reiterate.

Comfortable silence reigned between them whilst in the distance, a lone wolf howled followed by several others.

Fukumi accomplished the hardwork to serve her reserved visitor after another round of legwork to pour water. The brown haired female bowed with both hands placed in front.

"Haruka-san can have the first bath," she stepped back. "You may hand me your kimono and I'll wash them later after I'm done with my bath."

In silence, the stoic figure got upright languidly to haul both swords and the kimono fisted in her free hand.