22

Song: Beautiful Japanese music - Koto Relaxing Music

The first slosh of sake burned the back of Hajime's throat as it gradually warms his lungs. Both Haruka and Hajime sat underneath the veranda they kept their rapt gaze on the midnight sky. A platter of salt fish, two jugs of alcohol; several dango desserts untouched his brooding companion did not acknowledge his courtesy.

Hajime gave Haruka a sidelong ogle to deplore at his own severe action by housing in a criminal. If the daimyo came wind of the Shinsengumi's misconduct consequences are blind to happen. Especially, the commanders, in Hajime's heart he could not abandon a young girl even though it won't be the first time watching life sipping out. The rest of the captains were cognizant of Haruka's presence beneath their roof although Kondo was quite vocal of his disapproval.

Yet, there was a catch to his said rescue; he has to parcel her pronto to the castle after Haruka awakens or if she ever had a slight chance of survival. He was overwhelmed by a strange urge to learn about the ronin's past because in a random sense Hajime experience a faint connection. She was a reflection of himself.

During his journey as an officer of the Shinsengumi, Hajime had come across many peculiar characters. Each had a story to be told although most had their chances snatched away even though nobody intrigued him as much Haruka. With enough practice, the girl may turn out to be a great swordsman a talent gone to waste.

"You should not have rescued me," she began in a flat voice. "My story had to end in some point."

"It is too soon for Haruka to close your chapter," Hajime turned to view at her side profile.

Indeed, Haruka resembles a young boy under the tease of moonlight, she had a handsome profile fooling a person at first glance a face worthy to be a kabuki actor. At that moment, curiosity sparks inwardly but he bade enough time to actually broach the topic if Haruka was willing to share it with him.

"Who was she to you?" Hajime inquired when memories of the scenario played at the back of his mind from the village.

"Just a geisha," Haruka explains without gazing at his direction.

"Your cries said otherwise," he sipped on the sake cup. "It is told by the rest of soldiers that the victim may be on the hiding from the officials until Haruka came along. We don't blame her for fearing us instead that girl spied a familiar face in a swarm of terrifying men."

"She was just a geisha to me," Haruka explained.

Hajime turned to look at her flustered expression just then another intriguing emotion captured Haruka's expression; whimsical. She had a faraway feature as if staring off into another part of the world. 

"Her beautiful hair... shone under the sunlight in a warm almond-shade when Fukumi walks she reminded me of a graceful ethereal creature," Haruka's eyes flicker with an unknown feeling while continuing in a detached voice.

"Whenever she laid those expressive eyes upon me, I felt as if they could see the ugliness living inside of me spying deep into the depth of my battered soul. Fukumi was the embodiment of a well-mannered lady; feminine, gentle, kind and overall a pure heart."

"You love her," Hajime stated the obvious.

"I don't love her..." Haruka muttered at the same time sipping on the alcohol. "I watched Fukumi from afar wondering why a girl like herself could possibly want to associate with the likes of me. I had my own assumptions but she never failed to wear her heart on her sleeve. During Fukumi's last moment, I gave a gift she had yearned ever since we first met."

Hajime kept his silence intently gazing at the appearance whilst tears tracking downward to her chin. Because of the drunken mindset, Haruka was more perceptive and honest about her inner emotions. He studied the patterns about  Haruka in between the time she was a captive and listening to Ibuzu's stories. Out of the corner of his eyes, he caught movements at the end of the hallway their vice-commander had stumbled on them.