29

Song: Eruku - Arashi

The town was being entertained by skilful kabuki artists performing on the stage smack dab in the middle of the section. The melodious beat of the traditional instruments as colourful kimonos and painted face put up a stunning; the story between Gods and Demons whereas onlookers either laughed during a hilarious scenario or murmured.

Hidden in the depth of alleyway, a small band of men observed the crowds their gaze directed at the gangsters collecting money from watchers. Earlier, the locals had mentioned that these hooligans would forcefully snatch coins that were meant for the entertainers. At the forefront of the entrance, a Shinsengumi vice-commander silently looked on, he was put to charge with this particular group alongside Harada and Ryouma.

At the backdrop, a good number of male and female had joined forces to evacuate the said bandits whereas a collection of women and older folks decided to escape accompanied by children. In the meantime, the play was ending sooner or later, when Toshizo glances behind to view the rest of his team members.

"Wait for my command," he mentioned receiving a hearty "yes" while Ryouma ambled over to his side.

"Ah, it feels so weird getting orders from an outsider rather than my leader," the male complaint.

"You are always free to leave this to us," the other shot back in a dry tone.

"No, no, Haruka will be ticked off," he shook his head.

"Hijikata-san," Harada jogged over carrying a spear that he has lugged the entire trip. "I've gone through the process with them, the women are not to engage in any fight."

"As much as I'm grateful for their help it is quite troublesome to duke it out while worrying about their safety," Toshizo sighed.

"They are adamant to join in," Harada chuckled softly. "The women folks have had enough with the resources being taken away from their men."

"Don't be fooled, Vice-Commander," Ryouma spat on the floor from the gap of his tooth. "Our women are trained by their husbands to battle with opponents."

"I have heard tales but as a man in charge of their safety it doesn't give me any satisfaction," the leader smiled grimly. "Well, they are aware of the danger just in case these bunch of hoo-haa's make extra work for us."

"Is it true you guys hire farmers to be one of the Shinsengumi?" the gangster regarded Toshizo in a speculative manner.

"We are not scouting for soldiers at the moment," the male responded in a dry voice without looking at his companion.

"Che," Ryouma folded his arms. "As if I am planning to become some lapdog for Tokugawa."

"Well, you're technically a lapdog for your head honcho, correct?" Harada pitchers in the conversation.

"At least, all of us are not tied down by nonsensical rules and regulations," he retorted. "Yeah, our society certainly has a code of conduct that we must regulate but at the same time, many of us are outlaws."

"End of the day, you are right below us," Toshizo piercing glower pinned the man. "You try to screw up the law, we'll hunt you down."

"Time out," Harada stepped in between the pair. "The three of us have to focus on the matter at hand."

"A bunch of moth-" Ryouma gasped cut short of the sentence when Harada clutches onto his kimono to body slam against the building.

"Oi, mind your language," he growled in a hushed voice.

"P-please," a local nervously approach the trio. "We have to keep it down or else risk being caught."

"Harada, leave him," Toshizo peeks at the audience clapping enthusiastically.