11

The raucous commotion from a commonality of crushing bodies deep in the festival streets; far beyond lightning streak just as a surge of breeze flutter the tents

The raucous commotion from a commonality of crushing bodies deep in the festival streets; far beyond lightning streak just as a surge of breeze flutter the tents. Even as the mid-summer storm approached, the procession gave way in the middle of the road for a band of taiko drumbeat accompanied by masculine roars. Women clad in regal kimono and colourful fans dance along in tune to with the sturdy drum beat at the forefront of the parade.

"Rah!" a young lady frightened her sister from behind a demon mask.

"Stop scaring me..." she glared at her companion.

In the background, soldiers dressed in turquoise tone haori coat situated at the temples wide entrance. Their young captain attentive to the surrounding structure. Tonight, Tokufuji temple ceremonial marked its last night.

In the heart of Kyoto's district, a group of jovial performers hunch low in a neat row underneath the building's shadow closer to Tokufuji temple. Their instruments laid cosy beside them whilst street desserts occupied in each hand. Their curious gaze wandered at the swarm of faces as one out of the group sang an old tune with his head low and a flute played in bittersweet melancholy.

"... papa! I want that kitsune mask..."

A young child broke away from her parents; braided pigtails perched on either side as her cotton pink kimono matched the girl's shoes. Without both parent's guidance, she scrambled forth in feverish excitement toward the stall decorated by mounted masks. Expressive peepers abruptly roamed toward the assemblage when skeletal fingers of unease crawled up her spine.

Demonic mask hid partially of their features yet eerie eyes transfixed on her every little motion. The blonde head stared ominously at the petrified child; a red Hanya mask with bull-like horns, metallic eyes and wide leering mouth as sharp teeth captured her attention. The mask leaned sideways on the person's head.

"One.. two.. three.." a man from the other end grinned before a low chuckle emitted. "The hungry demon comes to eat you.."

"I told you not to run off all by yourself, Hanako!" the mother scolded her tensed daughter unaware she was the object of fascination for the men.

Several feet away from the lowlife performers, a Shinsengumi officer from the tenth division bypass as he surveyed the area.

Toudou Heisuke poised with his hip crooked sideways an arm crossed loosely over his balmy chest whilst a hand remained atop the hilt of his katana. He flung curt glances at the steady flow of devotees bustling in and out of the temple. When his officer returned, Heisuke nodded as the male reported.

"Keep up the good work, our shift will end at midnight," Heisuke commented with a smile. "Just be on the lookout for suspicious activity."

A week without intervention from unwanted sources, the captain preferred a smooth duty and eagerly anticipated for his time off. Toshizo had assured the boy for next weeks promising raise in his salary for good job completed during the festival. Heisuke sauntered leisurely yet alert when he halted by the sight; a statue of Buddha garner his rapt attention from the hallway. Low hum by the priests and the scent of aromatic sticks.