39

Song: Arigato-Japanese Trap Beat

Haruka balances on her feet with eyelids closed tuning in to the roaring blaze and breathing in the humidity by the enclosing vicinity when another plank disintegrated somewhere at the background. Perspiration dotted on her skin profusely, still, the gangster never budged as the building was collapsing, up until, Haruka subconsciously heard voices.

Still, the girl never cared to race for the exit instead Haruka wondered briefly if this was her final call. She felt no satisfaction from killing Gyo but a sense of calmness washing over her. Eyelids fluttered open, her solemn gaze dropped on the ragged figure on the floor and once again, kneeled in front of him to wipe the blade off of his blood. Replacing the sword by her side, Haruka gave a glance at the thick smoke watering her eyes and coughing.

She breathed in a lungful of the billowing fume when Haruka spat on the wooden flooring working the glands for saliva but her throat was parched dry. Out of nowhere, the female overheard a man's exclamation from beyond the doorframe but Haruka decided to give in to the flames knowing that her duty was completed. Exhaustion crashing in, the gangster collapsed onto her knees consumed by the billowing flame just then, a familiar voice rang from within the building.

"HARUKA!"

Tear filled eyes roamed towards the source of noise, Haruka caught a figure in dressed black carefully manoeuvring amidst the fiery pit and realized he was the captain of the Shinsengumi-Saito Hajime. As if he felt her pinning gaze his own shifted to hers and paused momentarily before accelerating forward. A wet scarf blinded Haruka but she was roughly carried by her saviour and wound both arms around his neck for once allowing herself to be demure.

The structure was crumbling by the second closer to death, eventually, both Haruka and Hajime escaped mere minutes before the entire surface deteriorated flames erupted by the breeze. Shouts, curses, firefighters mingling amidst the crowd of spectators meanwhile, police forces were prowling on the ground to assemble the team of bandits. Many have assigned to the long night with more damage assist at the break of dawn.

Haruka sensed a patch of clearing beneath her when someone offered a mug of water but they were hidden from view. Familiar faces visible as they came by to watch her regaining strength, she smelt of charred timber and sweat. Haruka had inhaled thick acrid smoke within her wheezing lungs and hacked dry coughs.

"HARUKA! MY GIRL!" Ryouma cried of tears of disbelief joy.

The female gangster decided to glance up at their features while exhaling through her open mouth. Soon, Haruka conferred the information and witnessed the men's profile hardening with a telltale glint entering their sharp eyes. They had a link to follow thanks to her, but the Shinsengumi had to proceed forward on their own without her aid when Haruka got up to her feet with the help of her member.

"My job is complete," she spoke whilst facing Toshizo whose face was unreadable as she stretched both hands outward. "I have kept my promise."

On the other hand, Hajime silently regarded the scenario knowing the duo would be sent to the gallows. A dull ache formed in the pit of his stomach. He had come to care for the young girl more than ever. She reminded him of a caged bird, the wings clipped as it waited to be returned to it's owner. But he figured Haruka had an inkling that her past sin would return someday.

"I will follow my leader to death," Ryouma's voice hinted of pride and respect.

Toshizo sighed, at the backdrop confusion ensued but the group were shrouded by the shadows. The obligation was important, he had to follow the rules and capture these sinister pair, yet, Haruka and Ryouma went out of their way-even though they had their agenda-to assist them. She single-handedly dug that vital knowledge from the bastard priest. He peered over to Hajime, albeit, he had a solemn expression but his eyes prove otherwise.

"Haruka and Ryouma are deemed deceased to us," Toshizo announced out of the blue.

"What do you mean?" Ryouma frowned in befuddlement.

"Leave," the vice commander glared at the man. "And never show your face to us but if you get caught in the future I will make sure to execute you."

"What?" the older male was stunt speechless gawking at each profile before glancing over at an uncertain Haruka. "Haru, can you believe this?!"

"What about the promise?" Haruka dispute with her hands still in front of her.

"Hajime, take over," the male took a step back meanwhile, Shinpachi and Harada had an admirable feature. "Please, say your last goodbye."

Without waiting, Hajime moves forward to stand closer to Haruka, their faces inches connected by the gaze silent words were shared. All of a sudden, the flustered girl took everyone by surprise just as she leaned her head against his chest one hand curled onto Hajime's kimono. He rested a palm on her blonde curls in an endearing manner.

"Haruka, I want you to swear upon me that you will start fresh," he whispered. "Let the past be past and embrace your future."

"Mm," she nodded once. "I am going to live with Ryouma and take care of his children someday."

"Stay safe, chit," Harada cleared his throat. "Thank you for all your help."

"The two of you hide in the mountains and never be seen," Shinpachi walked over to rest a hand on her naked shoulder. "We will remember you."

Haruka stirs from her position to peer at their faces one by one, she nodded once, before she departed the female carefully placed the small packet firmly into Hajime's hand-Okita Souji's Western medication. The pair were slowly walking away but Haruka glanced back to stare at Hajime who did not budge from the spot. Haruka locked her jaw, eyes showcasing her strength when she bowed deeply in an indication of respect and honour. Ryouma followed suit. Sooner or later, the area where the ruins stood by was now empty.

"Are you okay?" Harada enquired the quiet man.

"Yes." He replied tersely, yet, everyone else remained mum.

"Time to head back," Toshizo ordered and they too, disappeared off sight.

****

Their footsteps echoing off into the twilight, a calm breeze soothing their heated skin as they created a distance between the town and themselves. A new journey awaited for the pair, Haruka experiences a newfound emotion-freedom. She had nobody to kill after, no mob leader to confront or relate disastrous news. The pain numb at her side, she could care less.

They were almost reaching the exit when Haruka's sharp sense alerted her-they are not alone. She peers over at Ryouma and caught his dirty stare, the two of them were being hunted. Not before long, a man lunged at the front with a weapon ready Haruka almost reached for her weapon but recalled her promise instead, she used her combat technique to disarm the man.

"Go!" Haruka roared, eyes snapping at the other. "I will catch up with you!"

"But-"

"Listen to your leader, Ryouma!" Haruka yelled.

"I... I understand!" Ryouma back away but he pointed a rigid finger. "Stay alive!"

"You too," she affirmed when the two of them heard voices approaching faster.

Knowing she had no choice, Haruka chose to utilize the man's sword because Ryouma had given the final blow on his head an instant kill. She met face to face with a few, Haruka lazily swirled the blade just then, thunder rumbles before a curtain of water droplets wet the ground.

Beneath the heavy rainfall, the adversaries acted out, meanwhile, Haruka hoisted the blade in self-defence but the remainder of the event transpired in a blur. Noticeable crimson fluid streams downcast by the cold droplets. In a slow-motion momentum, the young fighter glances in a stupor at a jutting sword between her chest when somebody twisted menacingly from behind before pulling backwards.

"A-ack..." Haruka gasped in a chortled pain her entire frame quivering. 

"My wish has finally come true."