33

Song: Shakuhachi - Japanese Type Beat

"I don't trust him."

Harada turned to spy Haruka standing in the shadow, nighttime enshrouded the entire vicinity although lightning flickered at the distant. Both Harada and Shinpachi were situated near a tall tree while pondering about the journey.

Their destination to beat the time limit for the sake of their commander as well as to clear up any link between the torn village and Shinsengumi. A messenger had arrived bearing grave news for the rest of them. The daimyo was, in fact, contemplating an idea to disband the Shinsengumi and punish Kondo Isami for being the instrument behind the attack.

"Why?" Shinpachi questions her while watching vigilantly.

"What if he is bidding time to lure us in a trap?" Haruka mentioned walking closer to them.

Meanwhile, Hajime was set to guard the monk who was silent the whole trip to their desired destination: Kawagoe, a merchant town residing closer to Edo. None of the men including Haruka was ready to head over to that specific town.

"I have a strange feeling this is not the right place," Shinpachi rolled his neck. "I'm sure Hijikata is one step ahead of us."

"Hm," the female turned to look over her shoulder at the said person seated by the open fire.

"If we face trouble, we'll handle them," Harada assured the other.

She finally turned away but Harada's keen gaze caught the wet splotches on the wound section. He frowned in a measured concern because of their hectic moving across borders that fresh laceration might reopen although, the ronin never uttered a word.

All of a sudden, the rest of them heard a familiar whistle breaks across the dark cover of the night. Harada walked over to Toshizo's side after the man gave a response to their mysterious visitor minutes passed along just as a shadowy figure on a horseback approached them.

The remainder of the Shinsengumi men smiled in a pleasant surprise to spy their corporal, Shimada Kai, he halted the quiet steed to carefully descend on the ground. He bowed at Toshizo in greeting, shrewd gaze drifted towards the monk. A bushy brow raised in silent judgement whereas both Haruka and Ryouma remained in the background.

"Oi oi, Kai-san," Shinpachi placed hands on his waist to tilt his head.

"I've been receiving letters from Hijikata-san and the last one requested for me to head out of the HQ," he informed.

"How did you know where to find us?" Harada came to a stop beside Toshizou.

"I had to leave early and ride as much as my horse allows us," he sighs aloud.

"Any news from the Headquarter?" the vice commander inquires in a low voice.

"Kondo-san might be a target if we don't hurry up," he replied before nodding a greeting towards a quiet Hajime beside the tied up monk. "We received a report from the daimyo, he is upset about the news linking with Shinsengumi."

"We are doing our best to hunt that culprit," Toshizou sighed wearily. "No matter, it feels like we are grasping at straws."

"Even the priest has nothing to say?" Shimada points with a jerk of his broad chin.

"He has no clue of the ongoing," Harada related to him. "The idiot is tugged by a zealous holy man but this time, all of us will uncover whoever these people are sullied our name."

"How is Souji-san doing?" Hajime finally spoke up.

"His health is another issue," the man grumbled. "Souji is adamant to fight on the front line and he snaps at anyone who tells him off to get some rest."