Chapter Three

13 Years Old

Silently, Clarke blinked back tears as her father coughed into his handkerchief, blood splattering the white cloth. For a year now, she had watched his health slowly decline. She had spent so many nights with Raven or alone as her mother accompanied her father to his doctor's appointments and treatments.

"What are you doing, Dad?" She asked, keeping a small, strangled hold on her emotions.

"I'm writing a letter," he told her, looking up at her. His blonde hair was a little too long, the purple under his eyes too obvious.

"Oh, yeah?" She asked lightly. "And who is it to?"

"If I tell you now, it won't be as special," he winked. "How was your day, Princess Clarke?"

Clarke rolled her eyes. "Not you, too," she laughed, referring to Bellamy's name for her. "But, it was good. Bellamy got a new game."

"Ah, did he? Is this the exact same game you already own but with a three behind it?"

Clarke chuckled. "Actually, this is the fourth one, but we get a new character. A pirate!"

Jake Griffin laughed. "At least you get to be a different character. Well, why don't you run over to Bellamy's and steal his controller. But, be back for dinner, okay?"

Clarke kissed his cheek. "Yes, sir."

Across the street, Clarke didn't bother knocking. She entered the Blake house, heading straight for Bellamy's room. "Hey, dork," she greeted him, jumping onto his bed with him. "Let me play."

"No! I just got it. Go buy your own copy," he told her.

"I'm going to this weekend," she shrugged, reaching for the controller.

"Why do you always do this?" He asked.

"We," she corrected. "You took over my Skyrim for two months until you got your own copy. You wouldn't let me play, even though it was mine," she reminded him.

He clenched his jaw. "Fine!" He said, exasperated. "But first," he started, sitting the controller on the bed. He pulled her chin gently, his breath on her lips.

Her breath caught in her throat, but she slid her eyes closed. Bellamy kissed her, very gently, and only briefly. When he pulled away, Clarke's lips were tingling.