Confession (Not Completed!)

(Poor Gilbert. Just look at how sad he is!)

Gilbert

Matt is still in my arms, but at least he's not shaking now. His arms around my waist is just about the only thing on my mind. But there's something else. I regretfully pull him back a little. "Mattie, what's wrong?"

He sniffs as if he's been crying, and when he looks at me I can see he has. I don't even notice my damp shirt. "I...I'm..."

We're both sitting under the table, but I don't care. "It's okay, mein kleines Ahornblatt. You can tell me anything, and if you don't want me to, I won't tell anyone."

He lets out a sigh. "Fine. But you have to promise."

I don't hesitate. "I promise."

He sighs again. "I'm scared of thunderstorms." He suddenly looks scared again, as though I'll either laugh at him or a thunderstorm will start just as he says the words. Neither happens.

Matthew

Oh, great. He's going to laugh at me isn't he? If he laughs, I'll know for sure that we can never be together. That would hurt, him laughing at the one thing I fear more then anything.

"Mein kleines Ahornblatt, don't be scared. I'm here for you. As long as I'm here, you don't have to worry about a thing."

"Hey, Gil? Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"What does mein kleines Ahornblatt mean?"

Gilbert smiles. "Maybe I'll tell you some day."

"Someday? Why not now?"

Red creeps up his neck and to his face. Is Gil actually blushing?! What for?! I open my mouth to ask him about it when a scream comes from the spare bedroom. Releasing yet another sigh, I crawl out from under the table and head to the room. Blue is sitting up, crying, and holding his stuffed cat, who he told us was named Chila. 

"What's the matter?" I sit down on the bed and pull the small boy into my arms, much like Gil had just minuets before. "You can tell me, I promise I won't tell."

"I had a nightmare! My country was burned down by a river of other countries who wanted my islands to turn into tiny little pieces!" He breaks down and cries harder. Poor kid. Confusing nightmare, but still.

"Do you want me to lay with you so you can sleep better?"

He nods, and I lay down next to him. Within moments he's asleep again, and I drift off as well. I dream of what the future could hold, is Gil ever finds out how I feel about him.