Maya Rose

Maya woke up and looked at the clock.

"Of course, I'm up two hours before the alarm again." It was five am, and for some reason, she couldn't sleep past the time. She closed her eyes and actually began to fall asleep, but there was a banging at her door. "Oh my fucking gosh, who the hell could that be?" She groaned and got up, pulling a robe on.

She went to the door and threw it open.

"It's too early for- seriously Zion?" Her little brother stood there with a sheepish smile. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Dad threw me out this morning. He got up and saw that I didn't clean my room like he told me to last night and he told me to leave." Maya stared at him before she sighed.

"Fine, come in. But you sleep on the couch and... don't you have school today?" He walked into the apartment, nodding.

"Yes, but the bus comes by here, I'll be fine." She nodded and closed the door. "Your house smells like girl."

"Hmm... I do feel that I'm a girl Zion. Oh! And I like girls so, it makes sense." He rolled his eyes.

"I know but... it's so strong."

"Shut up." She told him, walking to her kitchen. She began to make a cup of coffee for herself and Zion walked in.

"Can I have some?" He asked her, hopping up to sit on her counter. She looked at him, he was a dark skinned boy with a mostly shaven head. He had a bit of hair on his chin and above his lip. Their father was a strict man, and he had usually made sure Zion was clean shaven and had a clean cut hair style.

Maya and Zion were technically half brother and sister. They had different moms. Maya's mother was a successful white woman, while Zion's was a successful black woman.

Maya's mother and their father had divorced right after Maya was born 23 years ago. Right after that, he met Zion's mother. The two were still married now and Maya loved the woman like her own mother. She still loved her biological mother very much, but they had a rough relationship once Maya came out as gay.

"Yes, you can have some coffee. Did you also get kicked out for not shaving?"

"Probably." He mumbled.

"Mom will probably get him to change his mind." He laughed a little.

"Who knows." He mumbled.

"What the hell else did you do?"

"There might've been a girl... snuck into the house." Maya burst out laughing and he sighed, laughing too. "It isn't funny. Dad heard her."

"I didn't ever caught doing that. How did you?"

"Dad was easier on you! Not to mention you're a cop! You know a lot about stuff like that."

"I wasn't then."

"Yeah but you were still so... Maya-ish and smart." She laughed and nodded.

"I'll give you that one. Pour the cups when it's done, I'm going to get dressed." He nodded and she left the kitchen to go into her room. She went to the bathroom, brushed her teeth, and washed her face. She looked at her puffy, wild hair and frowned. "Ugh." She groaned as she tried to brush through it. "I should've braided this last night." She mumbled. Maybe it is a good thing I wake up so early.

She brushed through her hair, starting to make progress. She wasn't trying to make it completely straight. She needed it to be just good enough to put into a tight bun.

Twenty minutes later, it was how she wanted and she smiled.

"Perfect!" She made a pose in the mirror and proceeded to the bedroom.