Opportunities

Ryan walked down the street from her house to the school. It was her very last day. She saw the school approaching and her phone rang. Smiling at the name that popped up, she answered her phone.

"Hey baby, what's up?"

"I got the job with the FBI, the SWAT unit. I leave in two weeks to go to training." Ryan stopped, her eyes widened.

"Baby girl that's incredible. I'm so excited for you." Once again, she was apprehensive about Maya leaving for 20 weeks and the risks of the job, but she knew it'd make Maya happy.

"Yeah. I'm excited too. You'll have an even stronger girlfriend when I come back." Ryan laughed.

"I'll still have the best girlfriend ever so I don't mind." Maya laughed too. "I'm so happy for you Maya. We should go out to celebrate tonight. On me."

"Hmm, I think I have the best girlfriend. But yes, I'd love to go out with you tonight."

"Oooo, this sounds like a date. Yay!" Maya laughed again.

"I know you're at school, so I'll let you-"

"You know I don't care about this place."

"But I do and it's your last day. You're going to miss that place one day, you know?" Ryan scoffed.

"I doubt it."

"Well, I love you baby. See you tonight."

"I love you too Maya. See ya." She hung up and walked into the school. She pressed play on her music and saw Seth and Zion. She felt someone tap her shoulder and she turned around.

Ellie stood there and she looked back at Zion, who was staring at her.

Shit.

She pulled out her earphones.

"Uhh, hey." Ryan muttered to her.

"Hey Ryan, how are you?"

"I'm great. How are you?" Ellie shrugged.

"I'm actually doing well. I've got a date with this guy tonight." Ryan smiled.

"I'm happy for you Els." Ellie smiled, but Ryan knew her. She could tell it was forced. It's been nine months now, how could she still not be over me? It was probably the nickname. Dammit.

"God, I thought I could actually talk to you without these feelings rushing back. I'm so sorry. I just wanted to be your friend but... I don't think I can. I really hope you have a nice life Ryan." She wiped a tear from her face and walked by her. Ryan sighed, feeling horrible.

She walked over to Seth and Zion.

Zion opened his mouth to say something and she glared at him.

"Shut the fuck up. I've been with Maya for months now. Don't you think if I liked someone else I'd leave her? I'm tired of you watching me like a hawk and doubting my intentions. I'm glad this is my last fucking day here." She pushed by him, putting her earphones back into her ear. Before, she heard Seth start to fuss at him. She sighed, feeling bad again. She didn't mean to be that way to him, but she did feel that way.

She should be able to talk to whoever she wants to.

She went to her class, but she was stopped again. She turned around to glare at whoever it was, seeing Seth there. He frowned at her and threw his arm around her shoulder.

"What's going on, what'd Ellie say?" She sighed and shook her head.

"More bs. She's always making me feel bad. It's been months now Seth, how isn't she over me? I've given her space, she's the one who keeps coming to talk to me, and in the end, she always makes it seem like it's my fault."