Miami

Maya was awake, but Ryan wasn't. She wanted to stay laying the way they were. Ryan held her tightly from behind, and Maya smiled.

She thought drunk Ryan would've been hard to deal with again, but for obvious reasons, she didn't mind it. She loved her girl no matter what, and she obviously knew Ryan felt the same. She sighed, turned over, and scooted closer to Ryan, pushing her head into Ryan's neck. She closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep again. Soon enough, she did.

She was startled awake, sometime later to someone beating on her door.

"We need to start telling people not to come over unless they call first." Ryan mumbled getting up. Maya agreed, but she stretched.

"You got it?" She asked her.

"Yeah." Ryan walked to the door and Maya stood up too. She pulled some shorts on and went to the bathroom. "Maya, it's your mom." She heard as she flushed the toilet. She sighed and washed her hands before going to the living room.

Ryan was standing there slightly agitated and Maya's mother stared at Ryan.

"What-" She stooped. "Did I interrupt something?" She asked, sounding polite. Maya knew her mother was asking if they'd had sex.

"No, we just woke up." Her mother nodded, glancing at Ryan again. Ryan sighed. She walked over and kissed Maya's cheek.

"I'll let you two talk. I'll go make breakfast." Maya nodded. "Have a good day Ms. Slaughter. Ryan disappeared to the kitchen.

"Why are you looking at her like that?" Maya asked her mother, tiredly.

"I'm just surprised you're still with her is all." Maya raised her eyebrow.

"Why's that?"

"She's just so young and... nothing you've ever dated."

"You just don't want me with a girl, Mom. I'm tired of this."

"No, honey please don't kick me out. I'm so sorry I've been that way to you. I just want the best for you, I love you so much." Maya stared at her and frowned.

"You've always had something bad to say about everything I did."

"I didn't agree with what you've done, but I understand now that I can't control you. You're a grown woman and even though the girl seems a little... off, I guess I can accept it." Maya sighed and nodded. It was honestly the best apology her mother could ever make and she knew it.

"I forgive you Mom." She smiled in relief and opened her arms for Maya to hug her. Maya hugged her back and her mother sighed.

"Thank you honey. I'll do better from now on."

"I know, Mom. I'm counting on it."

"I do love her, you know? You don't have to worry about me hurting her." Ryan said, standing in the doorway. Maya could only guess she gave up on cooking because it didn't taste as good.

She smiled at Ryan as her mother sighed.

"It's just that I don't know you and-"

"You can get to know me." Ryan told her, walking fully into the room. She held out her hand. "Hi, I'm Ryan. Nice to meet you." Ms. Slaughter stared at her hand, confused. "You shake my hand next and tell me your name. Or what I can call you." Ryan whispered. Maya giggled, but God, she loved that girl. No one had ever done this to her mother or talked to her like that.

People were usually intimidated by Maya's parents, but Ryan treated them as they treated her until she saw a chance to make a change.

"Hello... uhh, I'm Sandra. You can call me Ms. Slaughter?" She shook Ryan's hand and she smiled.