You Can Choose

Lucas took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Hey you." She smiled.

"Hey Peyt. Can we talk?"

She nodded and stepped aside to let him in. She walked up the stairs to her room and he followed her. When they got into her room she spun around and threw her arms around him to kiss him. He started to kiss back then he pulled back.

"Peyton, I need to talk to you." Lucas whispered.

"I thought that was an excuse to come inside." She smirked at him.

He sighed. "No, I have to talk to you. About us... and about Brooke."

Peyton frowned. "You broke up with Brooke."

He solemnly nodded. "I did, but... she's pregnant."

Peyton's jaw dropped and she sat down on her bed. "Brooke's pregnant?"

He nodded. "Yes. She is."

"And-" She sighed. "It's yours? You're sure?"

Lucas nodded. "Yes. I'm sorry Peyton, but I have to be there for Brooke. I won't abandon my child." He turned to the door. "I can't be with you. I'm sorry, but Brooke needs me right now." He said then he opened the door.

"Lucas, I love you." Peyton called out making him stop in his tracks.

He slowly turned. "Peyt, I- I can't hear this now."

"But I do love you."

Lucas walked over to her and took her face in his hands, caressing it, then he leaned and kissed her.

She stumbled back on her bed and he got on top of her. "You can choose, Luke. You can be with me if that's what you want."

Lucas sighed and gave in to her tempting whispers.

A few hours later his phone went off. He rolled over to answer it trying not to wake up Peyton.

"Hello?" He whispered, his voice groggy with sleep. "What's up?"

"I know it's late, but I had to tell you something." He heard her whisper softly.

"Okay. What is it?"

He heard her gulp and knew she was hesitating.

"Brooke, you can tell me."

He thought it was something about their baby and he desperately wanted to know it.

She gulped again. "I still love you, Lucas. You don't have to love me back, but please don't hurt me again. You said you want involved so I'll let you in. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow if you wanted to come with me?" She asked him.

He sighed and looked over at Peyton. He kicked himself in his mind. He took a deep breath and smiled. "I'll be there. You can count on me, Brooke. I-I love you too, Cheery." He whispered knowing that those words would dig his grave for him.

"Okay... I wish I could believe that, but I can't. Goodbye, Luke. I'll see you tomorrow then."

He frowned. "Tomorrow." He hung up and rolled back over to Peyton. He looked at her beautiful face in the moonlight then he sighed and got out of bed. "Brooke." He whispered leaving her room. He walked down the stairs and out the door not bothering to wake her up. He knew she wouldn't be happy so he just left. He didn't want to hurt anymore people he cared about.