Girl Meets Gravity

Matthews Apartment, Rose's Room

It was the first day of our last year in middle school and to say I was excited would be a lie. I was lying in my bed with the cover over me. Nothing mattered right now, and nothing, as mattered for the past few months since two of my best friends, left. Sure we talked on the phone a lot, and sure we video chatted, but that's not the same as seating down with somebody and having an actual conversation, it's not the same as going to dance class and known she'll be there, and is not the same as going over to there house and known that they already have your favorite type of food ready.

There was a knock on my door, "Rose honey, can we come in."

I move my comforter down a bit, "Sure." I say I hear the door open and Mom and Dad's footsteps, before feeling a dip in my bed.

"Oh, Rosie," Mom says combing her fingers through my hair.

"It's not fair," I whine, "It's the first day of school, it's the day the four of us get together in my room order pizza and Chinese seat down and talk about how our day was, what teachers we like so far, and which ones we know are going to be problems."

"I know Rosebud, it's hard when your best friend isn't there." Dad told me, "And as hard as this is you have to live your life. Know get up, get dressed, and meet us in the living area."

I look at the two of them, they were smiling at me, "We have a surprise for you that's going to cheer you up." Mom tells me. They two of them leave the room, and I get up and get ready for school once I was done I headed to the living area.

I saw Mom and Dad seated in the dining area and walked over to them, "Okay what's the big surprise."

Before they could answer a female voice spoke up, "You would think she would be more excited to see us."

"Are you sure she cried when we left." Another voice said this time male.

I look at Mom and Dad in shock, too afraid to turn my head just in case this wasn't real. Mom and Dad nodded at me.

"It's real Rose." the male voice said.

"You can turn your head." the female voice said.

I did just that, "Amelia! Maximo!" I yell I run over to them to bring them into a group hug.