Chapter 1

"Mom! For the last time! I am not going!" I protested, adjusting the strap of my floral bag. "Oh, c'mon! It will be fun!" mom insisted. She wanted me to go so badly, I am surprised she wasn't on her knees, begging please stay with me. Oh jeez. I just went Avril Lavigne on you guys, didn't I? "We even get to go with the Dukes!" she continued.

I bent down to pet my golden retriever, Avery. He was a gift to me for my 5th birthday.

"No means no, mother! I am not going." I sighed, getting up, "and I am also going to be late. So, goodbye." I closed the door, marching down the steps of my house. Oh I was so held up. I forgot to introduce myself.

Well, let's start off with this.

I am Tiana Reed.

I've never sworn in my life.

I like chocolate ice-cream.

I have no siblings.

And last but not the least, I am not popular.

I just don't like having a lot of attention on me, so I tend to steer clear of the radar.

I strolled up to the massive school gates, flashing my ID and slipping in. I then smoothed the skirt of my outfit. Ah,school. The putrid smell of failure and success. Which brings me to my next topic. My grades and how smart I am. I get excellent grades most times, but there are those occasional things I slip up on. For example, calculus. How do people even find it easy?

Maybe they're born with it.

After the frantic swarming of thoughts in my head, I approached my best friend, April. We've stuck together since grade 3 when I accidently dropped my juice all over her new dress. After that full day of hating each other, I came to apologize. And ever since then we've been BFFs.

"Hey!" April greeted me cheerfully. "Hello." I greeted, not so cheerfully. Well, not quite enough to pass her little test in the morning. "What was that Tee?" she looked at me, her vibrant hazel eyes filled with concern. Tee was her nick name for me by the way. "My mom wants me to go to our town's annual ball tomorrow." I sighed placing my books in the locker.

"Kanefall high's annual ball?" her eyes widen dramatically. "The one and only." I pursed my lips, casually closing my locker. "Why don't you want to go?" she asked, glancing at the students passing by us, "You're always so excited to go for events like this." she added.

"That's not the case this time," I shook my head ," we've to go with the Dukes" I was expecting her to give me a hug, and tell me how bad it was that I had to go with them, and that I wasn't alone. But instead...

"Oh my gosh!!! You are going with THE Dukes?" she squealed dancing around.

I groaned inwardly. Can't anyone see my state of distress? It's nearly impossible for anyone to see the tragedy.

Why?

Because they're oh so hung up on him? Who is he? You might ask?

One word. Conceited.

But in reality, he was the bad boy. You know, the ones treating girls like trash, then shoving them aside like yesterday's newspaper. I didn't like his narcissistic antics, and his whole attitude. I had never spoken to him, though he was so popular. And i wasn't planning on.

And then we have April. A complete Duke fanatic.

'Not him...his family." I explained, more clearly this time. "It's still him!" She cheered, jumping and clapping her hands "He's still a conceited mongrel." I hissed spinning around. April playfully rolled her eyes at my hatred for him.