Chapter 8

I curl my legs up to my chest, feeling my head throbbing as I try to breathe through my nose. An impossible task, my throat is hoarse and I open my eyes after seriously considering staying in bed forever. 

I don't realize where I am until I turn around and see the note on the pillow next to me, the other side of the bed was not slept in. I quickly pick up the piece of paper and forget how dreadful I feel.

Scarlett

Went jogging, will be back soon. 

Make yourself at home and feel free to order whatever you want. 

Tom x

I stretch out over the bed with a smile that my face can hardly contain. He was just too good to be true. Suddenly my smile turned into a stone cold hard line as I came to the realization... 

He was too good to be true. 

There must be something that he isn't telling me? Or something that I have yet to discover. I suddenly felt a heaviness on my chest as I laid back on the bed. These type of people don't exist, it just doesn't work like that. And why me? Out of all the millions of girls who would give the world to be where I am right now, why me? It isn't that I felt undeserving of love or, whatever this was, just that I felt inadequate. Like I couldn't live up to him. 

I would always be in his shadow. 

I got out of bed, covering my eyes as my head throbbed, banging my foot on the doorway to the bathroom. Ouch! I got some Advil from the counter and some vitamins. I walked over to the kitchen when I saw something on the couch. It was my clothes.  He had gotten my clothes washed for me, they were folded neatly and smelled like some expensive flower. I quickly scurried to the phone and mused over the menu deciding on some french toast and a cappuccino. I took a quick shower, feeling the relief of my sinuses opening in the steamy air. 

I looked at the shower gel, opening the cap and putting it to my nose. Hmm... it smelled like Tom. I quickly squirted some in my hands and washed my body, hoping I would smell like this all day. Imagine being covered in his scent after a hot make-out session, I imagine he must be an impeccable kisser, he does everything so smoothly and faultlessly. Then an unwelcome thought returned, he is too good to be true

I got out of the shower and wrapped the towel around my body. I took the hairdryer from the cupboard and quickly dried my hair, leaving it a little damp. I pull on my jeans and bra but decide to wear his grey shirt again, instead of mine. I have my last sock halfway on the left foot when the doorman calls. I hurry to the door, apologizing sheepishly for not giving a tip since I had no money in my wallet. He was much friendlier than I had expected, Tom must tip him very well. I sit my food down on the island and sip my cappuccino slowly while looking out the window on my right. He had a perfect view. I wonder how long he'll be? After finishing what was an impeccable breakfast I pulled on my jacket and converse, grabbing my bag as I head out. 

Once again I'm confronted by the opulence of the elevator and hotel lobby. I turn on the street knowing that there is a pharmacy and ATM not too far away. It is warmer today and there is no need for my gloves, so I leave them in my pockets. I get some cash and head to the pharmacy. 

My nose is leaking and my eyes are burning. My throat is sore, but it is bearable. I get some pills for my nose to relieve the stuffiness and some syrup for my throat. I also buy to my utter demise some overly-priced mascara and compact powder. Before entering the hotel, I hover in the street, looking at the light still embedded in an early sunrise pinkish hue. I close my eyes and for a moment freeze completely, just taking in the moment. The moment where I was in. I was in a moment of impact, that I knew for sure. Tom had come into my life without hesitance and even though I was fascinated and a little enthralled by him I knew that the permanence of his presence was unknown and the future was one big lump in my throat. I had come overseas to clear my head and see the world, but also to try and forget Daniel.