Chapter 11

Tonight was the big night!

New Year's Eve in Paris. The party Tom had invited me to. It would be crawling with celebrities and I was extremely nervous. I had gotten a navy evening dress with the money I got from my shoot. I had gotten some silver heels which were gorgeous but I'm pretty sure would be very uncomfortable at the end of the night. I spent the morning sipping lemon tea with ginger and aspirin - trying to get rid of my annoying cold. 

I was sure I was a little bit high after my consecutive sip of cough syrup, but I did not want anything to spoil tonight. I wanted to feel perky and fresh - not like an incubus of the viral plague. I steamed myself in the shower and ate some fruit. I called my sister and my mom. Allie wanted to know all the juicy details of the last few days and I tried to give her as little details as possible - feeling the guilt pile up in my stomach - not wanting to defy the trust I had built with Tom and reveal too much. When I talked to my mom however after almost a week of secrecy she sniffed it out. 

"Scarlett? You sound different? What happened?" And down the rabbit-hole, I fell. I gave her a very broad overview and hoped she would not pry. Mostly she just listened and gave excited gasps and sounds. After a few minutes of her preaching, she said the one thing I had been dreading to hear - the question that was looming in my mind, but that I would not allow myself to ask. 

"But my baby girl, I just have to ask - are you over Daniel?" I sigh, unable to shake the emotion that accompanies that name - the hold it had over me. 

"Mom, I honestly don't know." we sigh simultaneously. "But, I just feel like this is the type of thing that doesn't ever happen and I really like him - a lot. It scares me, but I just feel like I have to see what this could be." I can just see her - gripping the phone tightly nodding while the two lines between her brows are prominent on her angelic little face. 

"Okay, just be careful and cautious. I know you didn't just go on this trip to discover the world and tour and model. I know that you were also fleeing from the heartbreak. I love you Scarly, just be careful and I'm sure you look beautiful sweetheart. Enjoy tonight and let me know how it goes. I'll see you in a few weeks then we can drink coffee and you can tell me everything in extreme detail!" 

"I love you, Mom."

"I love you more. Bye."

"Bye." I hang up and feel tears well up in my eyes, I missed her so much, but I wasn't sure if that was the reason I was crying. I just knew that all of the sudden my heart felt heavy and I felt extremely sad. 

I watched some French sitcom, trying to distract myself when I saw I had to get ready. Tom would be here in just over an hour. I was getting ready, halfway done with curling my hair when I got a call from Kate. 

"Scarlett Everwood!" I heard her voice break over the phone and I put her on speaker. "How could you not tell me this? Your picture is all over the internet!" I felt my throat close up. 

"Uhm, Kate, what are you talking about?" Kate sent me a link over an email and I saw it - 

"Mysterious blonde with Tom Hiddleston in Paris"  

there were pictures of us in the café, entering the hotel, walking on the sidewalk and some of us at the art exhibition. 

"Oh. Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't think it was important to tell you." she sighs loudly. 

"Scarlett, do you realize how big this could be for you? For your career? You could become a famous model in no time!" I sigh deeply, rubbing my forehead. "Scarlett? Are you there?"

"Kate? I don't want to give a statement. I'm not sure if we're dating, I don't even know if he knows that the pictures are up-"

"Scarlett, you have to,"

"Kate, I have to go, we'll talk about this tomorrow, okay? I'll call you." She is quiet for a few seconds then gives me a stern-

"Fine. I'll wait for your call."

I sigh as I continue curling my hair. Putting my music back on and trying to ignore the lump in my throat. What were we? As what would he introduce me tonight? How had I not thought of this? Why hadn't we spoken about this yesterday? I wasn't his girlfriend, but we weren't just friends, what the hell were we? Had he seen the pictures? Was Luke angry? Was Tom okay? 

I continued my question rampage all through the evening right up until I heard a knock on the door. I quickly grabbed my clutch and scurried over to the door, double checking if my dress's zip was all the way up. I opened the door and came to a stomach-dropping halt. 

"Daniel?"