Concussed.

Evie remembered listening to All Time Low on her Spotify playlist when she was 15, and dancing around her bedroom whilst singing into her hairbrush, Blake watching from where he was lying on her bed and laughing along with her. She remembered that halfway through a song, she tripped and fell on the floor next to the bed, causing Blake to go into hysterics as he cackled at his blonde best friend. She remembered that he looked over the side of the bed, his head above hers, his eyes creased as he grinned at her. She could remember what song was playing at that moment - The Edge of Tonight, one of her favourites at the time. She could remember Blake's laughter dying down as his brown eyes looked gently into her green ones, his face falling into a gentle look as he started to sing along with the words.

Cause I can't breathe without you near, you keep me safe, you keep me sane, you keep me honest.

Evie remembered seeing something in Blake's eyes, something which told her that he wasn't just singing along to a song, but he was putting meaning into every word which came to his lips. The look he was giving her was filled with something more than just friendship, but a promise, an everlasting promise which filled Evie's soul and made her heart skip a beat.

You keep me alive, on the edge of tonight, chasing tomorrow, with fire in my eyes. You're like a siren in the dark, you're the beat playing in my heart, you keep me alive, on the edge of tonight.

Evie had never thought of Blake as anything more than a friend before, but in that moment she got a feeling she had never experienced, something she didn't get with Leo. It was like a warmth spreading throughout her, relaxing her body, like she was floating in warm water, drifting gently in calm seas. She didn't quite understand it at the time, and had pondered it when she went to bed that night, and for a few nights afterward, before shoving it to the back of her mind when coming upon the conclusion of love. Loving her best friend wouldn't end well, she figured, so she dismissed it as just happiness. Whenever she looked back on that moment, she couldn't help but think that that was her first mistake.

"I can't believe you gave me a concussion." Evie grumbled to Blake as they walked out of the hospital, reaching towards her head and wincing in pain when she touched it, knowing she should leave it alone but too curious to not feel how much her head had swollen.

"I can't believe you threw up on my new shoes." Blake spat in reply, glancing down and grimacing at the shoes he was - unfortunately - still wearing, as he hadn't had a chance to change them since the park incident. He was going to leave Evie at the hospital to go home and wash his feet, but one of the nurses had called after him and told him that it was not a good idea to leave Evie there with a concussion, so he had stayed. He wasn't a complete dickhead, after all, though Evie would probably say otherwise.

"I'm sorry, but if you hadn't knocked me over it wouldn't have happened," the blonde spat "and anyway, I think my health is more important than your shoes."

"Well you're already brain damaged," Blake spat back "from when you fell down the stairs."
Evie bit her lip and forced herself not to reply. Blake still didn't know everything, and she wasn't planning on telling him then. She didn't need to get any deeper into his bad books, not if she wanted the slightest chance to remain in his life when she did finally manage to grow a pair and confess the truth.

"Whatever." She muttered as she shuffled her feet along the pavement, wishing that Blake would slow his pace because she was still dizzy and still felt sick. Luckily, he noticed her slow shuffles and dropped back, his scowl dropping as he saw her bowed head and scrunched up face. She looked in pain. Taking pity, Blake wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. "I'll guide you, it's okay." He spoke softly, feeling Evie's body relax as her head fell sideways to rest on his shoulder. They walked slowly and were annoying other people on the busy London street, but Blake didn't care - he felt bad for the blonde girl because he was part of the reason why she had an injury, and he figured the girl would be too stubborn to accept a piggyback. Alas, Blake had misjudged Evie - she didn't care that she would seem dependent on Blake. When he offered her the piggyback, she took it and rested her head on his shoulder, cuddling herself close to his back as he carried her, half so she didn't fall and half because she missed being that close to the boy.