8. Gatecrashing and Tuesday.

"Oh Purdy, I completely forgot you were calling over, actually I thought you were messing with me." It is so easy, to be honest with her.

"If you had told me you were having a swanky dinner party I would have dressed up for you," she paused, and I heard the 'for you' part. "But all is forgiven look how handsome you are in your suit. Oh HELL?" she suddenly shouts, and I know everyone is aware of us and this little scene, but all I can do is admire Purdy, she is so beautiful and confident. "I have an Art Gallery show to attend soon, and you can be my plus one, its dress-up, and you have a suit already."

She stands on her tiptoes and fixes my tie how did we get this close without me noticing, I want to stay this close to her.

"Here, stay for something to eat, there is always plenty, and we can all make room for one more," I say as I go grab an extra chair I move my space closer to my father and put the chair between one of the twins and me. I notice the twin looking at me and then she gives Purdy an unfriendly stare.

"Excuse me," I say to one of the waiting staff, "can you please make me up another plate of food." The waitress walks into the kitchen, and I walk back to Purdy and hold the chair out for her. She takes off a yellow leather jacket and drapes it across the back of her chair; there are gasps from the guests when they see all those tattoos. I glide my gaze down her small frame she is wearing a black sleeveless blouse with tiny sunflowers on it, faded black skinny jeans and then I notice the flat black shoes.

"Oh, no boots. Please tell me you didn't ride your motorbike in those shoes?" I sounded as if I was scolding her, but she just laughed and put her hand on my arm. I then felt a million tingles on my arm and was it wrong to want to touch her back, hold her hand or pick her up bury my head in the curve of her neck and breathe in the scent that is Purdy.

"Don't be silly, Nerd boy I brought my car tonight. I thought if I want to kidnap you-you would hardly want to get on my bike." She spoke so calmly as if no one in this room mattered to her.

"Purdy my girl, sweetheart, what are you doing here?" A huge man bellowed. He set the plate of food down and made a fist and bumped it with Purdy's fist.

"Hightower, my man. I'm gatecrashing, thought I was coming over to explain a poem to Nerd boy." She then introduces me to her friend Hightower who lives up to his name for he must be close to 7ft, then she says, "What are you doing slumming it with the staff?"

"We lost Ethel a few months ago, so I'm filling in until I get a replacement." His face became sad, and he wiped a tear from his face.

"Sorry man, no one let me know, I would have come up for the funeral, she battled that cancer for years she thought she had it beat this time." Purdy also wiped a tear from her cheek.

"Anyway," Hightower starts to say and then catches my eye, I smile back. "Janey has been asking about you; we lost your number. Jack dropped her phone in the toilet, and she lost half her contacts, so what I'm saying is why don't you come up and stay for a weekend I know how you love to sketch our garden. Oh and bring your Nerd boy with you."

"NO, he can't go he is only 17." My mother shouts at them and crosses her arms; I hope she doesn't get this man fired.

"When are you, 18 Nerd boy?" Purdy asks me so smoothly shes not fazed at all by my parents.

"Tuesday," I announce, I never tell anyone when my birthday is, so I surprise myself when I answer her.

"What day is it today?" she scrunches up her face trying to think.

"Thursday," I answer.

"Okay, then not this weekend but the next that sound ok with you Hightower." She asks.