19. Inhalers and Gangster wannabes.

My hair now clumped in piles on the floor and loose strands lay in the sink. When it's on your head, it doesn't look like much till its scattered about the bathroom. I released the rest of my hair still gathered in the ponytail and gave my head a shake. I threw the clippers in the sink, they clattered against the ceramic, and I must have thrown them hard as some of the plastic chipped. My mother was right; I am angry and probably seeking attention. Hopefully, my parents will see this mess and understand the hurt that I am in, that they have caused.

I spent longer than the norm in the shower absorbing the heat from the water. No matter how hot you make the water, there are different types of colds that no amount of heat can warm you. With my body weary, it took me a little longer to get sorted, but I didn't rush. Darnell would understand, and who is going to notice us if we are late.

Once dried I head back to my room, I yank open a drawer, and I don't realise how strong I am because the whole drawer comes right out and I accidentally throw it across the room - more mess. I shrug my shoulders, and I think who cares. I pick up a pair of worn light blue jeans that have holes in the knees and a navy t-shirt; I stretch the t-shirt over my head, and I notice how tight it is, I look in the full-length mirror attached to the wardrobe. I scrunch my face up in puzzlement, "where did those huge muscles come from?" I ask myself. I find a hairbrush and using the elastic hair-band I pull up my hair into one of those Viking hair buns; the front is slightly messy and looks like I lay in bed with it and didn't restyle it the next morning, but it is a great first attempt, and I like the messy look.

I head back to the kitchen. I drizzle a little oil in the pan, and slowly and carefully I make pancake after pancake. The rhythmic and repetitive actions lull me into a calmness that cooking has always had on me. With an entire batch that could feed a small army, I pour honey on four extra-large ones and sit at the table to eat them.

It was after I finished I now noticed the smudged ink on my hand. I read it out loud, "Don't Forget." No, I hadn't forgotten, to meet Purdy at her car this morning to help carry her artwork.

I wrapped and packed the pancakes, also liberating a punnet of raspberries and strawberries along with a few bottles of water, and I tucked in a couple of ice blocks to keep everything fresh. The Pancakes can be reheated in our microwave if Darnell and Ed want them warmed.

Cool-bag ready, phone unplugged and packed into my bag along with the charger, as I will probably need to stick it back on to charge at some point throughout the day. Although if I keep it switched off all morning, I won't have to deal with my mother until later in the day.

Five horn blasts came from outside; it was always five, Darnell had gotten into that habit since he started collecting me from school, I think it is so I know it is him. I locked up the house, put the cool-bag in the backseat of the car and got in the front. We exchanged our morning customary 'Hey's' to each other, and he started his car and drove off, I put on my seat-belt and wait for Darnell to interrogate me about last night.

"Your mum is a bona fide b*tch, and you know that, right? That's it, Steven, it doesn't matter how much money she donates to my mum's community nursery. They are done being friends; we won't be back for any more get-togethers. When you left, they had a big dramatic bust-up, and my mum tore up the last cheque and threw it at her. She also accused your mum of stealing money from somewhere because there is no way she can afford to donate that amount of money and build that so-called play-room out the back, which looks more like a small house, have you seen it?" Darnell didn't exactly shout, mainly because of his asthma and he would get out of breath quickly. "Ok rant over, oh and you are always welcome anytime over at ours." He paused for breath, then said. "How was your night with Purdy?"

"Great, she said it was our first date," I said blushing slightly I kept my eyes front so he wouldn't see, I just realised that I hadn't looked at him yet, he had ranted as he drove so he kept his eyes on the road.

"Cool man. I would have phoned, but mum took my phone. She says 'anything that beeps, hums, pings, and buzzes now belong to her' you got me in a heap of a mess with my mum." he said matter of factly, there was no anger in his voice and the fact that I could pick up on this astounded me.

"Oh, commiserations on having your microwave taken away, I know how you love your microwave ping dinners," I said, paused and thought for a few moments and continued with saying "hold on, why did I get you into trouble with your mum, what did I do?"

"You brought home a girl and not any girl, Purdy, a gorgeous woman covered in tattoos. And you go to the gym to work out and look great." Again his tone of voice held no spite. I laughed at him, and he punched me in the arm with his soft, pudgy fist, and I laughed again.

"Mum says until I find a girl I'm working at her nursery as a member of staff, she says she will pay me, but from now on I have to pay my way with everything. And because she is not accepting your mum's money anymore, I am now the Nerd Boy that has to find the extra funds, to keep the nursery open." He paused, grabbed an inhaler from the side of the car and took two puffs. When he got control of his breathing, he continued saying, "I have a favour to ask."

Now that caught my attention, and for the first time since getting in the car, I turn to look at Darnell.

"Holy Moly! Darnell! Where did that afro come from?" I yelled and caught my hand just in time from extending out to poke his hair. He laughed so loudly he became wheezy again, and he reached for his inhaler. "You look like a fat wannabe gangster, holy cr*p, you got the extra dark sunglasses too?"

We had stopped at the red lights; I thought he was angry, he took off his glasses and looked straight at me oh cr*p did I make him cry.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to be horrible it's just you caught me unaware, you're my best friend I wouldn't hurt you on purpose," I said full of concern. Darnell and I have been friends since we were little.

Darnell looked me straight in the eyes, his eyes were wide with shock, but his expression slowly changed and now he was grinning the widest happiest smile I have ever seen him make.

"Holy f*ck*ng sh*t. STEVEN your not a zombie-person anymore. Welcome back."

Thanks for staying with my story, if you have enjoyed this chapter, please vote. Thanks for your support.

Chapter 19, Completed.