2: A Struggle

Chapter Two: A Struggle

    Blake was awakened by the loud chime of his alarm clock and the wonderful scent of bacon. He forced himself out of bed and clumsily walked into the bathroom. After stripping off his boxers, he started the water for his shower. Putting his hand in to test the temperature, he pulled away within seconds.

"Shit." 

It was like ice. No hot water again. He was starting to get used to this. Nothing in the house worked properly anymore, but he couldn't really complain. At least he had a home.

After struggling to withstand the the cold shower, he dressed in whatever clean clothes he could find, and grabbed his usual grey sweatshirt. When he walked into the kitchen he was greeted by his sister, Sarah, who always used a positive tone no matter what her mood was.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty. Get enough sleep?"

"Not really. And you?"

"I got enough."

Blake glanced at the shabby wooden nightstand that served as their kitchen table. It had a clean but stained bed sheet on it that they had started to use as a table cloth. On top of it was a pitcher of fresh orange juice, a plate of berries, a platter of waffles, and bacon. He had to look twice to make sure it was real.

"What is this?" He asked, clearly surprised.

"Breakfast, Einstein."

"Obviously. I mean, what's the occasion? We can't afford this, Sarah."

"Just sit down and eat so I can tell you the news."

Blake tried to sound angry about the extravagant meal, but it was so delicious that it was very hard to be anything but delighted. Sarah still hadn't said anything until he finished. Then,

"I got a job."

Blake froze.

"You what?"

"You heard me."

"Sarah, we talked about this!" Blake started raising his voice. "You don't need to get a job, you need to act like a kid! We are doing fine as it is."

"We both know that isn't true, Blake. If I dont do this, we'll lose the house." She was strangely calm.

Blakes voice was tense and hoarse. "What kind of job is it." He forced.

"Carol's Market, the one down the street. You won't have to drive me. I'll walk."

" But..ugh. Fine. Just..be careful, okay?"

"You say that as if I'm joining the army. I'll be fine, and we will have some extra money."

"Okay." He could barely utter the words. He looked Sarah in the eyes, then turned and left. He slammed the door on his way out.

She's my baby sister. I need to protect her, give her the good life.

Why did you do this Mom? Why?

 By now Blake was dangerously close to crying. He couldn't bare to go to school yet. He still had time. And with that he ran out into the rain, ignoring his car, and went towards the only place he could go. The woods.