1: Pain

Chapter One: Pain

    Savannah slammed the door as she stepped into the house, ignoring her mothers worried cries. Why bother? Her mother wouldn’t be able to help the situation. It was past curfew anyway, and she hadn’t called her mother to tell her where she was. She knew she was going to get grounded again, why bother being reminded?

She went straight to her room and tossed her backpack on her old desk chair. Everything in the bedroom was old, worn, and very childlike. She was 16 and still had the same wallpaper as when she was 5 years old. Although she repeatedly tried to scratch it off, the colorful flowers were just too much. Whatever, she would get over it.

Savannah barracaded the door so that no one could come in, hopped on her bed, and blasted her music. Ah, music. In the past few months, music had become one of her only escapes. No matter what the song was, it always seemed as if each lyric had been carefully selected just for her. She’d probably be dead if she didn't have music.

Lost in the lyrics, Savannah didn’t notice that hours had past. It was already 4:00 a.m. "Oh well." she  thought. She never got enough sleep anyway. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time she slept peacefully through the night. Opening her shabby drawers, she pulled out her favorite ripped jeans and a simple black T-shirt. After removing all the things that were blocking the door and putting them in there proper place, she walked out into the hallway and then turned into the bathroom for a quick shower.

When she stepped out, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Oh how she hated her body. She hated her fat, she hated her paleness, she hated how uneven everything was. Savannah grabbed at her stomach, wishing that there was something she could do to make it shrink. Forcing herself to look away, she prepared for the long day ahead. Savannah let her hair airdry, she had no patience to deal with it today. Before she left, she made sure to grab the old backpack from her room.

In the kitchen, Savannah saw that her mother had left her purse on the table yet again.

“Five dollars wouldn’t hurt, right?”

 She quickly grabbed the money and left without breakfast and without saying goodbye. She never ate breakfast. She never said goodbye. She just grabbed her black hoodie and left. It was 5:30 by then. She still had time. And with that she ran out into the pouring rain, running and running until she reached the woods.