8: Panic

It was the thunder that first woke Savannah up. As soon as she registered the warmth coming from Blake, who was wrapped around her, she felt safe and drifted back to sleep.

The second time she awoke, it was the sirens. They were somewhere in the distance, because they obviously couldn't come into the woods. But in her heart, she knew the sirens were for her.

"Blake!" It was only a hiss of a whisper.

"BLAKE!" She shrieked.

"WHAT what huh! Hoozit fucking--oh. Hi. What's wrong?"

"The police! They're looking for me I know it. I have to get home, I have to."

"They'll never find us in here though.."

"Maybe so, but I have to go home sometime. What time is it?"

"umm.." Blake checked his phone, flinching as the bright light illuminated the hide-out.

"It's 12:30. P.M. and..oh."

"What? 'Oh', what?"

"Savannah, It's Wednesday."

"You mean Tuesday. Tomorrow is Wednesday."

Blake showed her the date on his phone.

"Shit." She mumbled. She had been gone for over 24 hours. Her mom was going to kill her.

~~

When they realized what time and day it was, Blake and Savannah immediatly stood up. Blake had the strongest urge to kiss her again, to tell her to just stay and everything would be okay. But then he realized all he truly knew about her was her first name, and somehow he managed to restrain himself.

"Where do you live?" Savannah asked.

"Harrison."

"Well, obviously. We are in the middle of the woods in the middle of this dusty old town. I meant which direction."

"Oh." He said, suddenly feeling stupid. Blake jestured to the back of the hide-out. "That way."

"Oh. I live that way."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Uhm-"

"I'll find you," She whispered. And as the sirens got louder, Savannah kissed him on the cheek.

Thousands of emotions blazed through Blake's body, paralyzing him from head to toe. He closed his eyes as she kissed him, and when he opened them-

She was gone.

~~

Where is he?!

Sarah thought, although she acted like nothing was wrong. She had been going on as usual, pretending he was still there. School, work, homework. Dinner, clean, bed. This was her schedule. This is how she acted on the outside.

On the inside, she was screaming. Only the most terrible conclusions forced their way into her mind. Did he die? Did he get arrested? Murder? Suicide? Lost? Sarah hadn't seen him since Monday. It was Wednesday, and his car never left the driveway. He hadn't called, he hadn't texted. Nothing.

Not knowing is what killed her the first time, and now it was happening again.

So she followed his footprints into the woods to find herself an answer.