11

This story may be going a bit quick, but truth be told, the Titanic itself was only a ship for four days before it sunk so it won't be as long as my other stories. That being said, I still hope to make it as effective. :)

Jane's POV

April 12, 1912 - 6:30pm

I sighed as I put on my usual Sunday dress. It wasn't extravagant. It wasn't bedazzled. It was merely simple. White fabric went down to my ankles and I sighed as looked around my body, twirling myself in the mirror this way and that to get a good look and make sure I was dressed for the occasion.

Harry said look poor.

This wasn't "poor," but it was simple. I think that was good enough.

I tied the sash around my waist and smoothed my dress out. As I was fixing myself up, my mother came into my room and looked at me. I caught her gaze through my mirror and bit my lip as she furrowed her eyebrows and looked me up and down.

"Where are you off to in your church dress," she asked. I turned around and smiled at her.

"I met some people out on the deck," I explained, "they've invited me to a party."

"Oh?" Mother asked, walking towards her own bed, and adjusting her silk gloves. She kept her gaze on her hands as she tilted an eyebrow and spoke.

"And where will this party be?"

I gulped and looked at her, "the parlour. For third class."

She looked at me sharply, "third class?"

"Yes mother."

She said nothing as she looked at me. I wrung my hands and sighed. I had to leave now. I promised Harry I would meet him at around 8:30 and it was currently 8:24.

"You will do no such thing," she finally said," you're coming to dinner with us."

I gaped and let out an exasperated breath, "but mother,"

"No!" She interrupted me, "you are not to associate with that filth. What will that say about us? You are to marry Mr. Johnson and that is that."

I groaned as my mother left the room with a huff and walked over to my bed and flopped down on it. I looked over at the clock that sat on top of the fireplace in our room and sighed. 

6:34.

He probably thought I wasn't coming.

"Jane!"

I closed my eyes and let out a breath.

"Coming, mother," I sighed.

~

I sat at our dining table, listening to the classical music play and the mindless chatter about who wore what and which stocks had come in from which company. By the first hour or so, I had already given up with trying to communicate and involve myself in these things but I had nothing else to do.

I looked to the door of the dining room. I could sneak out of here. I could tell Mother that I was going to the washrooms and exit quietly and quickly. Would Harry even want to see me then?

It was worth a try.

I sighed and looked to my mother who was in deep conversation with Esther Parkingson; an English woman from London. 

"Mother," I called. She looked at me with a faint smile.

"Yes dear?"

"May I be excused. I need to use the lavatory," I said. She nodded briskly and I nodded.