26

Jane's POV

April 15th, 1912 – 12:05am

I ran down the corridor, glancing into every room and stateroom for a trace of Harry. I felt the panic ease its way into my mind as I continued to run and was about to round the corner before I bumped into something.

I stepped back a couple steps and looked up to find a flustered looking Harry staring down at me, holding a young girl in his arms. Fred stood beside him as we silently gazed at each other.

"Oh my god," he breathed, handing Emilia over to Fred, before he pulled me into his arms. I hugged back just as tightly as we stood there.

"What the hell are you doing?" He asked.

"I couldn't get on the lifeboats," I whispered, "they're doing women and children first but I couldn't leave you here, not knowing if you'd be okay."

"You should have," he said as the ship moaned and creaked loudly. Emilia whispered and clutches onto Fred who looked at us.

"We should go," he whispered. Harry looked at me and licked his lips before he cupped my face and pressed his lips to mine. He pulled away and sighed.

"As upset I am that you didn't leave," he whispered, "I'm so glad you're here."

"I love you," I replied. He smiled and nodded before he pressed his lips to my forehead and pulled away to grasp my hand.

"Okay," harry said, turning to Fred, "let's go this way."

"I'll lead us out," I offered, "I came through a service exit."

They nodded at me and I scurried ahead of them, twisting down the same ways I had come. Within moments, we had burst out into the crowded deck, and I found Millicent standing with Emilia's parents. They looked at us and her mother burst into tears upon seeing her daughter safe and sound.

"Oh my darling," she cried, "I'll never leave you again, my darling."

"Mumma," Emilia cried, hugging her tightly as her father joined them. Fred walked to Millicent and kissed her, wrapping an arm around her waist before they turned to Harry and I.

"We should split up," he suggested, "see if there's any free lifeboats."

I felt Harry grab my hand and squeeze as he nodded at his friend. We had to strain to hear each other over the loud shouting and flares going off occasionally. It was chaos.

"If you find one," harry said, "take it and go. Save yourselves and don't worry about us."

Fred scrunched his face, "What? No, Harry...we're all going together."

"No," he shook his head, "when you find one, and you come back to find us, and then by the time you come back it'll be gone. Take the chance and save yourselves, if you get it. I'll figure out a way to get Jane and me off of this ship."

Fred looked at Harry for a few seconds before he nodded and sighed, pulling Millicent along as she gazed solemnly at us. She met my gaze and nodded and smiled, waving ever so slightly before she turned the corner, Fred's hand pulling her along.

"Jane," Harry whispered, turning me to face him. His green eyes sparkled as the lights flashed around us. As soon as I glanced at him, I felt a bit assured that I wasn't alone in this moment. In all of this chaos, it would be okay because we would have each other.

"Yes?"

"I need you to stay with me, okay," he said, "no matter what. Do not lose sight of me. I'll find us a way out of here, darling I promise."

I nodded, stepping closer to him, "I trust you. I know you will."

He smiled at me and nodded, pulling me to him before he pressed his lips to mine. We kissed for a while before he pulled away, resting his forehead against mine. He began to chuckle softly and I looked at him.

"What is the matter with you?" I whispered. He smiled.

"You really love me, huh?" He replied. I nodded sternly.

"I do."

He smiled bashfully and kissed my cheek, "I love you too."

He pulled away from me and grasped my hand, smiling at me before we turned and headed down the deck. As we looked, I noticed that a lot of life boats had begun to fill up, but the only thing is that they were only half full. I remember listening to a tour where it said the boats could seat as much as one thousand people in total but these boats only sat about twelve people.

"Harry," I whispered, pulling him into me as we walked, "these boats aren't even full."

He nodded, pressing his lips to the side of my head, "I know. But we need to get you on one now."

I looked to him.

"What?"

"You're going to get on a lifeboat, Jane," he said, "I'm not arguing with you about this."

"No-"

"You told me yourself," he interrupted, "women and children first. So get on. I'll find a way to you. I promise, my darling."

I felt tears well up in my eyes as I looked at him, "no."

"You need to," he pressed his lips to mine, "do it. I'm a good swimmer. I'll be alright."

He walked us towards one of the lifeboats and a crew member noticed me and ushered me towards the boat.

"Excuse me, miss," he said, "but we need you on this boat."

"Go," Harry ushered, "I'll be fine."

"You will find me?" I asked, keeping my gaze locked with his as I let the guard escort me onto the boat. He nodded as the distance between us slowly increased. I sat down in the boat absently and looked at him.

"I love you," he said, "I know what I'm doing. I have a plan."

He stayed with me until the boat was "fully" loaded and they started lowering us down. He held onto the edge of the boat, and stood with the other men who watched as their wives and daughters were escorted down with me. His eyes held a gleam of uncertainty and hope as he gazed at me and it was only when the boat hit the water, and Harry's smile faded from one of assurance to worry did I realize what was actually going on.

Harry didn't have a plan.

———————————————-
Three chapters plus an epilogue left!

I hope you still enjoy this book haha,

Please vote and comment!

Love you,

S.