16.

Samuel noticed the differences in Charles at school. He was more aggravated and reluctant to do things. He didn't talk to people and even though he'd always get in fights before he looked weak and vulnerable now. He didn't put up his tough guy front, he walked with his shoulders and head down and his hands in his pockets.
So as they walked down the sidewalk Samuel asked. "Charles you've been acting different lately. What's wrong."
Charles was quiet for a moment his hands dig deep into his oversized plain grey hoodie. He bit his lip as if he was trying not to say something like he was closing his mouth to keep back the words.
"I don't know I just haven't been doing a lot and all the bullying and-"
"Well that shouldn't bring you down you used to be some confident. Everybody used to want to be you." Samuel said looking at Charles who was standing on the outside of the sidewalk by the road.
"Yeah used to." Charles said quietly with his head downwards.
Samuel looked over at Charles. "I mean it still could be"
"No. Everyone knows I'm gay now." Charles said with a more angered tone. "We should have kept it a secret. We should have been more careful."
Samuel was now annoyed. "So I'm so disappointed you'd like to keep me a secret."
Charles let out a over exaggerated sigh and scoffed making his annoyance clean.
"Just sit there and fucking whine." Samuel said harshly back.
"Can you shut the fuck up for like 5 seconds for a change?" Charles growled loudly.
Then Samuel shoved Charles. Everything you do has a consequence. Instantly Samuel realized his mistake. He yelled as Charles was tossed upwards by a car going down the road. Charles landed face down on the concrete. The car didn't stop.
Samuel ran out to the black haired boy who almost immediately lifted himself off, he didn't want to seem week so he showed he wasn't hurt. He lifted up and looked at Samuel with his mouth partially open. There was a scrape above his eye that was already bleeding and his nose was slightly bleeding but other than that he looked unhurt.
"What the fuck was that?!" He practically screamed.
"I- I didn't know. I-." Samuel started but tears were already running down his face.
Charles mocked Samuel before shoving him. "Get the fuck out of my way." He said his voice was cold and he sounded like the Charles that Samuel hated remembering. The one that beat up all the nerds and anyone that looked at him wrong.
Samuel followed Charles who was practically steaming with anger. "Charles I'm sorry please don't say it's over- Charles I love you."
Charles turned around with anger in his eyes. His mouth opened but he stopped and took a deep breath. "It's not. Just calm down. I need to calm down." He took another breath."if you need to talk to me. I'm staying at the field by the train tracks tonight."
"Charles I'm so sorry." Samuel sobbed so bad what he said was almost inaudible.
Charles put out his arms and Samuel nestled himself in the comfortable place on his chest. He wiped his nose on Charles sweatshirt. "I deserved it." Charles whispered. "Just letting you know though. If you ever do that shit again I'll kick your ass."
"I didn't see the car." Samuel said quietly.
"I obviously didn't either." Charles said with a smile. "Go home Samuel."
As Samuel and Charles walked opposite ways Samuel turned around "I love you Charles." He said loud enough for Charles to hear.
"I'm still trying to decide." Charles said with a smile as he wiped blood on his jacket. "I love you too."