06| project mk ultra

project mk ultra was run from the 1950s to the 1970s in america by the cia. it was one of the most disturbing human experiments in history. the cia experimented on prisoners and sex workers, trying to give them mind control powers. the experiments made their way into many movies and tv shows, most notably inspiring stranger things.

the project started in 1953 by the cia and the main idea of it was to test out mind control techniques as a way of getting information from enemy captives - as well as potentially creating "robot agents" that would do anything they were asked to do. (i'm sure it would've been a lot more humane to just try and use robots)

the subjects were mostly non-consenting citizens who were subjected to lots of experimental torture techniques, like extended sensory deprivation, hypnosis, and sexual abuse. mind-altering drugs were also used on the victims which caused temporary brain damage, the victims becoming physically disabled, and even decreasing/increasing the victims' aging.

not much is known about the experiments as most of the files were destroyed by the cia in 1973. but we do know some things, like the research was very widespread - it was conducted in nearly 100 institutions in the us and canada. test subjects included prisoners, prostitutes, mentally unwell patients, and even cia operatives. in most of the experiments the participants didn't know they were part of the program.

many reports say that cia agents were slipped lsd (the drug) in their morning coffee leading to them rambling about monsters. one cia employee even jumped to his death out of a 13th floor window, and it's likely he wasn't the only casualty.

documents from the canadian experiments say that victims were so messed up because of forced comas and extensive doses of lsd that they completely lost sight of who they were, often mistaking the doctors for the parents - just like eleven calling dr brenner "papa".

even though mk ultra was shut down in the 70s many still believe that the cia carry on conducting terrifying experiments on non-consenting citizens, even today...

bit of true horror for you there. i have some different things planned for the next few chapters, like rituals, conspiracy theories and maybe an unsolved murder or two...