Chapter 1 | 17th birthday

My eyes fluttered open to the cool breeze drifting in through the open window beside my bed, I rolled over looking out at the beach. I ran a finger lightly down my arm feeling the small goosebumps that covered it.

I'm going to miss this place. We're moving all the way to Glenroy which is on the complete opposite side of Melbourne from where we are, but it's for mum. It's for her job, and she brings in the income after all.

I pulled myself up, before walking over to my closet and pulling out a large grey jumper that fell over my body and covered half my thighs. The smell of bacon drifted into my room, and my stomach growled in response. I quickly pull on some light wash, denim skinny jeans, and skipped over to my dresser.

My hair is slightly wavy, a dark chestnut brown colour, and it falls at my waist. My skin is quite clear which I'm happy about because I was really self conscious about it during my early teen years. It's a nice tan/olive complexion, which moulds in nicely with my brown eyes.

I let my eyes absorb what I was faced with in the mirror, why am I so damn self conscious? What if I don't fit in at Penola? Sitting alone in class and at lunch had always been a fear of mine. I shook the thoughts from my mind and walked downstairs for breakfast.

Walking into the living room, I took in my surroundings and relaxed knowing it was just mum and I home.

"Ali honey, what's wrong?" She questioned.

"Oh nothing, sorry I was just. . . wondering were you were," I replied, lying through my teeth of course. I don't exactly get along with my. . . father if you may, although he doesn't exactly act like one.

"Well, happy birthday!" She grinned, handing me a little pink box enclosed with a bow.

"I can't belive you're 17! My little girl!" She squealed, engulfing me in a bone crushing hug.

"Thanks mum," I smiled, eagerly unwrapping the bow.

It was a beautiful silver locket with 'Alice' engraved into it. "Oh, mum I love it!" I shrieked with a big smile plastid across my face, placing it around my neck.

"I knew you would!"

"Oh and sorry hun, your father couldn't be here he left at 6 this morning for god knows what! I didn't want to wake you, I'm sure he'll see you when he get's home though," she smiled.

I smiled back taking my plate of bacon and eggs off the bench thanking her. I really couldn't care less if he missed my birthday if I'm honest.